weird problem.

C

cam

got home this afternoon and my computer was acting very strange, making harddrive write noises for like 3 or 4 minutes, so i rebooted.. went into windows explorer and it would slow down and crash.. i isolated two processes that might have something to do with it..

fast.exe

and some dll, i forget the name.. i shut both down and it seems to be stable now. could this be a virus or what.. the only odd thing i did was try and run a copy of final fantasy divx, it did not work and crashed the divx player. any ideas? im going to reboot here in a moment and see if things work themselves out.

cam

i rebooted and had the same problems, shut down fast.exe and things appear to be stable again. the dll did not show up again on startup.

anyone have any info on fast.exe ?

cam

hmm i would assume fast.exe was the fast switcher
you could disable it from startup alltogether using say xsetup www.xteq.com

after further examination, im noticing that explorer.exe, for whatever reason, starts to go ape after a while, im not sure whats causing this. processor usage jumps to 100% and it will sound like its doing some heavy processing, lots of harddrive noises etc.

im usually running the following programs:

internet explorer
trillian
coolmon
serv-u ftp server
mirc
winamp

ive never had any trouble until today.. i "upgrade" reinstalled xp but it didnt do anything. any ideas?

explorer.exe is your shell program. That's what runs your taskbar, desktop, etc. It also orchestrates a lot of other functions on your system so i think you can rule it out as the trouble device.

I read your problems and the first thing i think of is possible disk problems. Have you ran a chkdsk /r recently (I think /r is the correct switch to get it to check your drive on the next reboot)? If not, you might want to do that and see if there's any disk errors that get cleaned up.

Also, shut down some of your programs that you "normally" run. See if you can trace it to one of those. If you find a culprit i'd try uninstalling and reinstalling it. I'd suggest a defrag, but windows likes to organize itself just so and can appear busy after a defrag doing that. But it's something to consider doing. Good luck, hope something helps.

i had to reinstall my windows xp because of that exact problem, i opened a divx, and it screwed up...and when i got rid of fast.exe my copmuter finally could work good...

Originally posted by DAZZ
i had to reinstall my windows xp because of that exact problem, i opened a divx, and it screwed up...and when i got rid of fast.exe my copmuter finally could work good...

I am experiencing the same problem ..
my cpu is workin 59 seconds in a minute at 70% or more ...
i can't listen to music or play divxes without this cracklin sound ... or when i play music and open a contol pannel and scroll up and down through the icons with mouse the music gets disorted .. that shows that the CPU is the problem but i don't know what to do ...

what will happen when i delete fast.exe? i need some more explanation .. but i will do anything to solve this problem.

:mad:

same here, what procedure did you use dazz? total reinstall of windows, and it solved everything ?

cam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back