weird issue with XP pro

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
when ever i drag and drop a file, no matter the extenson, the pc seems to lock up or pause. doesnt matter if im doing this to a different partition or with in the a partition. only way for me to move a file is to copy it then go to the folder and select paste. any ideas?

not sure about that... i've always used right-click->copy/move. :p

also seems to take forever to delete. if you hightlight and hit the delete key. takes like 30sec to ask if i want to delete it.

Run an SFC /scannow on your Windows install. See if it finds/fixes anything. I've seen this before, trying to dig up the solution.

Also check in taskmanager to see if there are any unusual processes spiking when you do a drag and drop, or shift/delete - if the process is explorer.exe that maxes out the CPU usage - the SFC may fix it.

Have you defragged lately? With a third party defrag like Diskeeper?

Mastershakes said:
Run an SFC /scannow on your Windows install. See if it finds/fixes anything. I've seen this before, trying to dig up the solution.

Also check in taskmanager to see if there are any unusual processes spiking when you do a drag and drop, or shift/delete - if the process is explorer.exe that maxes out the CPU usage - the SFC may fix it.

Have you defragged lately? With a third party defrag like Diskeeper?

SFC? ive done a defrag and a anit-virus and spyware scans. found nothing.

Are you drag/dropping from two different hard drives? Or is it the same drive. I agree with Mastershakes, try defraging and doing a disk clean up. Do you do any spyware scans? Anti-virus running?

EDIT: Whoops you posted before I could :p

SFC = System File Checker. - whenever these really basic Windows functions go wonky on me - I run it. It's part of Windows, what it does I believe is a checksum on all the Windows System Files. If it finds some that have been modified, it will restore the default from the I386 folder, or prompt you to put in your Windows CD

Run that business, let us know what goes down.

i did a drag and drop to a folder on the same partition (text document) the explorer and cpu percentage did not change. its like it gets stuck for 30 seconds. this happnes with deleting a file as well.

IDLE said:
i did a drag and drop to a folder on the same partition (text document) the explorer and cpu percentage did not change. its like it gets stuck for 30 seconds. this happnes with deleting a file as well.

Download This and run it, if you can upload a screenshot, or just post all the results

i had this very same problem, but with windows 98, even after i formatted and reinstalled it was still the same after about 2-3 days. For me i found out it was the HD. and it sounds like that could be the culprit as well.

Are you on SP2 IDLE?
Also, what is your video rig?

That tool looks real neat Zeke.

ive got 98oo pro 256mb catalyst 4.12

Attachments

• HD.JPG
    HD.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 102
zeke_mo said:
Download This and run it, if you can upload a screenshot, or just post all the results

what he said - HDtach is teh businesss IF it is the drive.... sounds to me like it could be a spin up problem, but also software related.... what happens when you open a file like an MP3 with a player? Any lag there? If it is the HD there should be lag in these sorts of areas too....

[EDIT] seen pic now - your drive is not the fastest but it looks unlikely that is the issue to me.... is it nearing 100% or in fact anywhere above 75% full? Are the files large? and there was something else - but I forgot it while typing! Doh! [/EDIT]

opening up files i have no problem with.just moving or deleting them. im freakin lost with this. lol. i dont have any trouble playing any games what so ever.

IDLE said:
ive got 98oo pro 256mb catalyst 4.12

The screen shows 19.9 MB/s Sounds like you need a new hard drive :p

IDLE said:
also seems to take forever to delete. if you hightlight and hit the delete key. takes like 30sec to ask if i want to delete it.

I have that problem too. Found that if I turn my anti-virus off I can drag/drop and delete with no problem

tzepp - good point.

IDLE try disabling real time protection for your anti-v and see if it changes anything.
It's looking more and more like an HD problem. Nice work fellas.

i would run msconfig and disable most of your start up items, and none windows services. if it works fast after that then its time to re-enable everything 1 by 1 untill the problem returns. then you will know what is causing it if its software related.

found this in the event viewer

im screwed.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 123

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back