Weird issue: pc speaker beeps when adjusting volume from system tray

B

Bubdar

Been having a weird issue for the last two day's.. When I adjust the volume from the system tray the PC speaker beeps instead of hearing the normal wav file threw sound card/speakers. All other sounds/music/etc works fine... I've searched microsoft.com and the web and havn't found a solution... any idea's?:confused:

Thanks ahead of time..

wierd!!!!!!

no doubt a wierd problem.. i havent seen that one. What sound card do you have and is built-on to the motherboard?

This is what I would try first:

1. open "run" box, type "DXDIAG" without the quotes and hit enter. You can do some troubleshooting here, but it appears that everything will work fine from what you said.

2. It doesnt sound to me like a software issue, but just in case, since you said it started 2 days ago, might consider a system restore for about 3 days back to see if that fixes it.

:D Mine has been doing that from day one. Funny you should mention it, 'cause it really started bugging me last night. Tonight I will pull the PC speaker connector off of the motherboard! :)

Sound card is SB Live Plat (not built onboard). I've even tried removing the sound card and installing a different board with the same results. As for dxdiag, everthing test great.

I did find couple post on cnet.com from other people having the same problem (on windows 2000/ME not just XP) but no resolution. One post did say it was a simple registry entry but he did not say what entry and the email address in the post doesn't work anymore..... (cry)

As for system rollback... I'm hoping not to.. This seems to be such a simple problem (anoying as it can be)... hoping there is a simple solution.

Had a thought... searched the registry for "ding.wav" and "Windows XP Ding.wav" where normally one is the "default sound" (aka like when adjusting the volume).. Did not find either listed in my registry.. question is.. someone not having this problem have a entry somewhere for one of these?

This is where I have a feeling something might be wrong but don't have another XP system handy...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default]
@="Windows"
"DispFileName"="@mmsys.cpl,-5856"

Well my last post was a little off but I was on the right track!

Several hours, 3 2 liters of Pepsi, and 2 packs of smokes....

FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!

Copy of the registry entry I added: (replace the 3 "SID of my user account" with the SID of your user account)

[HKEY_USERS\"SID of my user account"\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default]

[HKEY_USERS\"SID of my user account"\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Current]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,6d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,\
77,00,73,00,20,00,58,00,50,00,20,00,44,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,2e,00,77,00,61,\

[HKEY_USERS\"SID of my user account"\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Default]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,6d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,\
77,00,73,00,20,00,58,00,50,00,20,00,44,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,2e,00,77,00,61,\

Can look at example of the above key by going to
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default

This key was missing for my "SID" but existed for ".DEFAULT" so I just export the key, edited the file with notpad and changed "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT" to HKEY_USERS\MY SID", imported it, tested my volume slider and DING!! it worked!

Hope this makes sense and helps others out with the same problem....

as for why searching the registry for "ding.wav" or "Windows XP Ding.wav" didn't find any results... Leaving that one for another night.... :cool:

good job!

great job! now in about 3 days when you finally settle down from all of that caffiene... GO TO SLEEP!!!!!! (LOL)

Geeze! Quite the hack! But I thought hackers only drank
Coke? :D

My .Default doesn't contain the entry yours does.

I tried creating a .reg file using the information you provided,
but the beep remains.

Are you running Home, or Pro?

Would you mind creating a .reg file?

Thanks!

Pepsi has more sugar!!!! :D
XP Pro (Home Edition = non secure shares!)

As for the .reg file no problem! (attaching as a .txt file... make sure to save it as a .reg)
The one attached to this post is for the standard "[HKEY_USERS\.Default\" User account.
Make sure to edit the file before you import it and change it to your SID.

Should be something like this before you import (example from first key):

Before editing:
[HKEY_USERS\.Default\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default]

After editing:
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1111111-436374069-1111111-11111\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default]

pc_tek: Sleep? (ponders, remembering what sleep was from childhood)

;)

Thanks Bubdar! I now get a nice ding... or actually more of
a "dooing", through my speakers.

No more annoying beep from the PC speaker.

Great job.

Great glad it worked for you ;)

Sorry for the slow response.. was out of town for the holiday's..

Anyway.. on small side note... Had a duplication of this issue (but knew how to fix it).. Uninstalled RealOne Player.. rebooted.. and boom problem appeared again.. "seems" when you uninstall this app the key get's deleted...

Reported the problem to Real Networks...

PS: Not the "seems" in the above.. will do more testing and let you know what Real Networks response is.

Peace..

Help with this issue!!!

I have XP Pro and have the issues stated above. I can export it but when I import it it doesn't change. any help pls/

MM

Did you make sure to update the SID to your SID before importing?

Install of Norton AV 2003 caused the issue also..

/rude Norton

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back