Weird IE6 / Mozilla problem

J

Jachyra

Well, the Mozila part isn't entirely true, but anyway, you'll see.
I really don't understand this. Btw, I'm using WinXP pro.

A while back, my IE wouldn't load the page: www.microsoft.com (the site can not be found...)
Fine, the site must been down. Next day, same thing and ever since. The cure ? I only have to type microsoft.com without the www. Even now there are a few sites I can't access at all, www or not. (And I know they're working fine because I can access them from work)

Weird. Then later, a few sites are acting the same way, so I have to manually edit my favorites shortcuts to remove the www. Now before you start telling me it's the DNS server of my ISP acting up, I asked a coworker if he had the same problem. Nada (He and I are on cable with the same company).

Hmmm... maybe it's IE acting up then. It might be a IE registry key that is bad. Then come the mozilla part. I d/l mozilla, install it, and try to reach the adresses not working in IE. Nope, not working either.

At that point, I'm confused. Last night I called the tech at my ISP just to ask him if they ever heard of that kind of problem. No, they haven't... he even asked his supervisor to make sure.

The thing is I'm about to reformat and reinstall my XP this weekend, so whatever the problem is should go away. But I really would like an answer to this if it ever happens again.

So, have any of you guys experienced this before ?
Or any ideas what causes this and a way to "repair" this ?

Thanx in advance.

sounds like your hosts file has been messed with.

i think its located it %WINDOWSDIR%\system32\etc\ (off the top of my head... probably wrong)

but the entries for www.microsoft.com may have been tampered with and may lead to a now dead IP address.

i've had the same prob... it was never permanent though... every once in a while the m$ sites just won't load for me ( not that i'm there very often or actually value much of their support)... i use mozilla...

Well guys, the hosts file mentioned earlier was it !! So, if anyone has the same problem, there you have it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back