Weird: IE vs Firefox - Transparency

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
In FireFox my av and sig background are transparent, in IE they aren't.
Any ideas?

IE has alpha channel problems =x

This is a very well-known bug in the way IE's rendering engine handles the alpha channel in PNG images. The bug has been fixed in IE 7, which is supposed to be released later this year.

Until then, your best bet is to save the image as a GIF if you still want to maintain transparency across all browsers.

NetRyder said:
This is a very well-known bug in the way IE's rendering engine handles the alpha channel in PNG images. The bug has been fixed in IE 7, which is supposed to be released later this year.

Until then, your best bet is to save the image as a GIF if you still want to maintain transparency across all browsers.

Your best bet is to say "Fück you IE6" and not do anything, as the problem will solve itself with IE 7 :D.

NetRyder said:

Can also use 8bit pngs which work in IE. but i prefer X's way :)

NetRyder said:

FWIW it is not a bug, IE simply does not have alpha PNG transparency capabilities.

X-Istence said:
Your best bet is to say "Fück you IE6" and not do anything, as the problem will solve itself with IE 7 :D.

The attitude of an Administrator, how admiring. :rolleyes:

X-Istence said:
Sure, that's an option if you want 90% of the world to see an ugly grey background until the end of the year.

Yeah, unfortunately, for the time being IE7 isn't yet released, so not an option outside of beta tester circles. The only option I've really seen is to have more then 1 browser installed on the computer, and where necessary load a page up in the other browser...

Sigh, the wonderful world where some pages will load properly in one browser and not the other. It's like between my university pages (aka for online enrollement and stuff), vs those for my bank; one likes one browser and not the other. The other will work in the other, but not the one... Unfortunately, in those cases though, beyond a rendering problem it can be a login or general useability problem... And of course as I can need to use boh sites... I've grown accustomed to this sorta thing by now.

I kinda like the gray... but it looks superb in FF, and at home on IE7 beta.

:) Nice sig... need to work on one .... /shakes wishes for more time...

sean.ferguson said:
The attitude of an Administrator, how admiring. :rolleyes:

I was saying that as in with my own sites, and what I personally would do. Not talking for osnn.net at all, and never do.

j79zlr said:
FWIW it is not a bug, IE simply does not have alpha PNG transparency capabilities.

It does have Alpha transparency if you enable the javascript hack, the JavaScript IE7 from Dean Edwards actually uses this, and fixes it for IE 6.

NetRyder said:
Sure, that's an option if you want 90% of the world to see an ugly grey background until the end of the year.

I'm a big fan of grey. I've just never been a fan of IE. The IE team has had time to fix this before, and could have rolled it out in a new update before IE 7 months ago. I personally have never felt the need to fix something because a group of people can't do something. That is why if my site (my blog at this moment) does not look the same in IE, as it does in the browsers I do use, then those users are SOL.

The JS workaround, atleast the one I know of, is quite clunky. It transforms the image and loads it with the Alpha Image Loader. If you've ever used this script, try it on a computer that is slower than 1GHz and it will bring it to its knees. I would consider it a bug if the feature was there but didn't work. This is something completely different.

You know, this isn't the first time I've heard of complaints about the coding in IE itself. OK, security bugs have been known, but the article (which unfortunately I can't find anymore) was from back in the day when IE integration was first being planned for the winNT code base.

What made this different, was that the complaints as I remember them were comming from the Windows NT development team itself, and as such Microsoft's own programmers. They cited problems with the code, general sloppiness, and aspects of the IE code base that simply weren't up to snuff for the NT code base; and then the task of having to integrate this sub-par code, in their view, into their own code base as things were moving into the release of win2k. As I remember, they were giving Balmer an ear full or something, and were being told to try to make it work, best they could...

Too bad I can't find indication of that currently via Google, as complaints about the general quality of the code, from Microsoft's own programmers (albeit from one of their OS dev teams) would make one hell of a point on the matter...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back