Weird HDD benchmark results...

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I'm not really into benchmarking, but I just ran a HD Tach test because I was curious, and I ended up with this result:

hdtach.jpg

This is with a 200GB Seagate 7,200rpm ATA drive with 8MB of cache.

Doesn't it seem a tad bit too good? I ran the test multiple times, rebooted the system and ran it again, and the results have been pretty consistent. I've been looking around the web, and my results seem to look better than the ones I'm seeing for 10,000rpm WD Raptors, other SATA 3GB/s drives, and even RAID0 setups.

What's up with that? :D

The screenshot in the first post was the Long bench (32mb zones). Here are the results of the Quick bench (8mb zones)

hdtach2.jpg

Hmm that's pretty odd.

Beat my raid 0 raptors : p

It seems your read speeds are very very high at the start of the drive but slow down a lot near the end. The high start may explain your high score though.

Attachments

• test.PNG
    test.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 200
Luna said:
Hmm that's pretty odd.
Beat my raid 0 raptors : p

It seems your read speeds are very very high at the start of the drive but slow down a lot near the end. The high start may explain your high score though.
Yeah, I wonder why that is.

Grandmaster said:
Pure luck? :D
Maybe that explains the speed of that Office 2003 install? :eek:

Wow, you've past the point of the ATA saturation, that's amazing.

Heeter

Seems I have lost my results, but I will run the test again tonight.

4x maxtor diamond max raid array :) - doesnt slow down :D

Heeter said:
Wow, you've past the point of the ATA saturation, that's amazing.

Heeter
...which is exactly why I thought it was weird. :s

NCQ??? or possably an SATA2 drive? or just an issue with reading the speed properly from your hardware?

canadian_divx said:
NCQ??? or possably an SATA2 drive? or just an issue with reading the speed properly from your hardware?
Regardless, drives pretty much never achieve, let a lone pass, saturation. You should market that computer as a super computer. With those benchmarks as support, I'm sure you could get a good chunk of change for it on eBay.

canadian_divx said:
No, it's a regular Seagate 7,200 PATA drive. You could be right about it reading the speed incorrectly though. Pretty odd. :D
Oh well, I was just curious to see if anyone could think of a possible explanation.

looks like cache burst at the start and then gradually starts using the cache less and depending on the physical read speed of the disk at the hub.

If you are over clocking the FSB or Memory HD Tach may be getting bad speed info since it uses it's own device drivers.

Other than that, like Lord said, you are probably just testing your cache speed, not the HD itself. The HD Tach website says the program uses 8MB or 32MB depending on the mode. Are you testing in 8 MB mode by any chance? If so the 8 MB cache may be masking the true HD speed.

LeeJend said:
If you are over clocking the FSB or Memory HD Tach may be getting bad speed info since it uses it's own device drivers.

Other than that, like Lord said, you are probably just testing your cache speed, not the HD itself. The HD Tach website says the program uses 8MB or 32MB depending on the mode. Are you testing in 8 MB mode by any chance? If so the 8 MB cache may be masking the true HD speed.
Everything is running at stock speeds. Haven't overclocked any of the components. I also posted screenshots of the test with both the 8MB and 32MB modes above, and the results were almost the same.

I'm going to bench my beast once I get it up and running, fecking drivers :eek:

I'll have to bench my 250GB Hitachi 7k250's when dabs.com delivers them :) thouhg it'll be post raid0 array. which may also incliude my seagate 200gb if I cant add a drive after creating said array.

Too bad I threw away our old SCSI RAID server. It only held 24Gb with 4 drives but it was quick, bearings were whining and it was getting old.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back