Weird HD issue...

emeritus

Beware the Monkeys!!!
I have 3 Hard Drives. Maxtor 40 and 80, and a Hitachi 120. Now the 40 is the boot drive, and I have don't have a problem booting the system up. The issue, is that all 3 hard drives are listed as active, when only the 40 should be active. How can I change the status of the other 2 drives, without losing the data?

Partition Magic isn't helping, it lists the drives as active, but I can't change it.

emeritus said:
I have 3 Hard Drives. Maxtor 40 and 80, and a Hitachi 120. Now the 40 is the boot drive, and I have don't have a problem booting the system up. The issue, is that all 3 hard drives are listed as active, when only the 40 should be active. How can I change the status of the other 2 drives, without losing the data?

For " active" read Accessible....... or dont you want the other 2 accessible after boot up ?

By 'active' I mean the system sees all of my my hard drives as boot drives when only one contains the OS and is bootable. Only one partition or drive in a system, is supposed to be active, (unless you have a multi OS system). I actually have solved the issue, I found a Powerquest utility called PTEdit32, in otherwords, Partition Edit 32bit. It worked great. Now my drives are listed properly. Thanx for the responses.

I've never come across this as being an issue. If there are other active partitions than the boot partition, so what? As long as they are not in the boot list, they won't be booted. Right?

Actually, I did run into a problem once with this. I rearranged my hard drives, and it tried to boot off of one of the other drives instead of my C drive, which it then saw as D. If the other drives were not active, it would not have happened. It kept on giving me the NTDLR missing error, because my system got confused. I had to disconnect the other drives and boot up the system then turn it off and reconnect the drives before it would work correctly. Thats when I noticed that all the drives were active.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back