Weird Floppy Access Issue

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I noticed this when I was burning a CD (with Nero) yesterday, which is the first time I've burnt a CD with my new GA-7N400Pro board. The CD burning process was taking longer than it used to and I also noticed the floppy drive light would turn on often even though there was no disk in the drive.

The floppy was acting like this once when I accidentally disabled ATA in the BIOS. The floppy would try to read whenever my harddrives would be read from (very annoying). However, simply adjusting the BIOS fixed that.

According to device manager, there are no conflicts with the floppy or harddrive controllers. The Primary and Secondary controllers show the appropriate DMA settings. It just seems like the floppy is interfering with the CD channels.

BTW: My CDRW is master and the DVD is slave on the secondary IDE channel. I have 2 harddrives on the Primary IDE channel.

Any ideas?

I am not sure but I also find that nero is not performing as good as it used to for some reason on my GA7NNXP going to see if its bios related I flashed by bios and I am not sure it it is that so I am going back to the one I had and will try and see if it improves

There are some "floppy access" settings in bios. Turn them all off. If that doesn't work unplug the floppy for a trial. I'm about to leave mine unplugged all the time. It's not like I use it anymore and why waste the power.

PS
Running Nero 5.5.10.7 with no problems. What rev you guys at?

Ok well go figure I went back to the F11 from gigabyte and its perfect nero burned my bootable cd with no problems at all I had flashed my bios with preachers newest bios and that was all I had changed on my system so going back to the F11 fixed my nero issues, I am going to try the new F13 from gigabyte right now will flash bios and then try and burn a bootable cd and see if I have any trouble , dunno if you noticed your problems after a bios flash?

:)

Be back in about 20 minutes with news on F13 bios

Thanks all...

I have changed any BIOS setting that would effect floppy operation to no avail.

I also am using PR3ACH3R's modded BIOS F11 (can't wait for the HARDM3NU version :)), but I still had this problem even with Gigabyte's stock F9 BIOS.

I have disabled auto-play for all data types and drives and that seemed to help. I was able to burn a 700MB audio CD in just under 3 minutes.

Another oddity: I used to use EAC (exact audio copy) to rip tracks from CD's and ever since I had this board, the program doesn't work right. It will read the drive ok, but it thinks there are no tracks on it. It does thins on both the CDRW or DVD drive. After trying different versions, I had to switch to "Audio CD Ripper" by Advantrix.

Originally posted by LeeJend
There are some "floppy access" settings in bios. Turn them all off. If that doesn't work unplug the floppy for a trial. I'm about to leave mine unplugged all the time. It's not like I use it anymore and why waste the power.

PS
Running Nero 5.5.10.7 with no problems. What rev you guys at?

6.0.011 here and for me its was bios related but thing is he is on the baby sister ( mobo ) to mine but I know he hangs around the forums were preacher has his bios's , so I now wonder if he used a preacher bios because it was the cause of trouble for me. Unless it was just by chance, will try again with that other bios and see if I can get same troubles ..... at $1 a pop who cares , better off knowing for sure .....

Be back again with news later

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Thanks all...

I have changed any BIOS setting that would effect floppy operation to no avail.

I also am using PR3ACH3R's modded BIOS F11 (can't wait for the HARDM3NU version :)), but I still had this problem even with Gigabyte's stock F9 BIOS.

I have disabled auto-play for all data types and drives and that seemed to help. I was able to burn a 700MB audio CD in just under 3 minutes.

Another oddity: I used to use EAC (exact audio copy) to rip tracks from CD's and ever since I had this board, the program doesn't work right. It will read the drive ok, but it thinks there are no tracks on it. It does thins on both the CDRW or DVD drive. After trying different versions, I had to switch to "Audio CD Ripper" by Advantrix.

http://pr3ach3r.overkillsystems.net/

It is out hope it works for you , I will do more tests before saying it is his bios , but it did work when I went back to F11 ....

Yeah, that's the one I'm using now: PR3ACH3Rs F11. He is currently in the process of creating a "HARDM3NU" where all the O/C options are in one category instead of how GB seperated them (of course you know this since I've seen you in that forum too ;)).

Edit: BTW Kermit: I see in your sig you are running 210FSB with PC3200 memory. What kind do you have? I have only gone up to 200 because I don't want to chance going any further and corrupting something due to memory errors. Plus, if I go higher, I may lose my nice 2-2-2-5 timings. Just curious. :)

Platinum -samsung- K4H5608380-TTC

Made in Korea << important for the nv chipsets seems taiwan dont go so well

And at 210 fsb ram at 100% or 1:1 420 mhz I must say I am very pleased , I wont bother going higher I wanted 200 and got that and a little more , I run this speed 24/24 even right through the heatwave we have been having and it is rock solid and blazing fast I paid 72$ Can for the 256mb stick no complaints here.

Arrg. My thrashing floppy problem is back again and it is screwing up CD writing. I tried a different drive from a different computer from another PC with the same result.

I wrote an email to Gigabyte asking what could be the cause. Mine is the only problem I've heard of on any of the forums with this issue, so maybe it's a bad board?? That would suck since I can't RMA the board for the same one; they don't carry this model anymore. I've had it past the 30-day money back guarantee too.

My next step is to re-install windowsXP all over again, but I did this when I got the board.

Between this problem and the poor SATA/PATA performance, I want to huck this mobo out the window. I didn't pay the extra $$$ for features that aren't worth the trouble to use. I never had any issues with GB's old mobos, maybe it's time to go back to VIA.

Update:

Well, after several days with no answer from Giga-byte, I decided to re-install Windows from scratch. What a pain. Anyway, things seem to be running smooth now so I guess my issue was with something bad in my other installation, which is weird since everythings the same and all was installed in basically the same order. :confused:

Good to hear you got it fixed, sucks you had to go the long route.

Originally posted by Kermit
Good to hear you got it fixed, sucks you had to go the long route.

Yeah, I'm glad too. That small thing was really annoying me. It's not really a big deal I guess, but it wasn't working right and I hate it when something isn't working right no matter what it is.

I had disabled the floppy in BIOS but I never realized how often I used the drive until I disabled it. The "long route" was a pain but worth it.

I figured it was either a bad mobo (didn't really want to believe that), or something wrong with a driver or something. Anyway, it's all done. :)

I hear ya, I am the same it don't matter if it's a small thing but if it's not working right it haunts me, I have to get it working right!!

Originally posted by Kermit
I hear ya, I am the same it don't matter if it's a small thing but if it's not working right it haunts me, I have to get it working right!!

Im the same way, got to fix any problem, latge or small right away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back