Weird DNS Issue

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I have a Windows 2003 SBS with DNS, handling all internal requests (machines go here) and requests are forwarded out to OpenDNS. There is a very specific website that can't be reached, for some odd reason. Page cannot be displayed is the message, can't get there by IP either which makes me think it's not DNS.

If I remove the DNS from the Server, and just set the DHCP options for OpenDNS, therefore not serving any DNS locally, it works fine. However, traffic to that same site is slower than other sites.

When working with the DNS server and local DNS, it works much faster - but keeps not being able to view it. There are no errors in any event logs on the server or clients.

I have used nslookup once or twice, and have to get back there to run it. But how else can I figure out what's going on - and/or what will nslookup really tell me?

-edit-

Should be noted the site in question has no relation to the actual domain of the server or DNS zone(s)

Last edited:
whats the site ? - could be routing issues, could be local network congestion - could be the servers isp or hardware acting up

Yep... agree with Carpo here...

Do a traceroute, and exclue any routers between you and the "problem" site which also appear on the other servers traceroute

Of course that will only work if those other servers are also hosted elsewhere...

It will be alot of work depending on the amount of servers in question...

Mike A!

The site in question, let's just say www.msn.com for the sake of conversation - is accessible anywhere in the world accept from this one location. Can't get there by IP or FQDN.

I'll be there later today and see what I come up with using DNSLint to get a full report.

The site in question, let's just say www.msn.com for the sake of conversation - is accessible anywhere in the world accept from this one location. Can't get there by IP or FQDN.

I'll be there later today and see what I come up with using DNSLint to get a full report.

Wait, so I make sure I am understanding you correctly...

The site in question has no issues with any other sites except that one, AND can not access that ONE site either by DNS or IP?

Sounds like an issue with that particular site...

I know you posted this in the Windows forum, but there are no Unix machines involved right? I.E. hostname issue?

Mike A!

That is correct - msn can be accessed from anywhere else, including my mobile phone when at that location. But, that location cannot get there by IP or by Domain Name.

Actually ended up being something with the ISP modem - rebooted it and it was fine. There is a diagnostic tab within the modem you can use to ping/tracert websites or addresses, which I was not able to do from the modem. Rebooted it and it worked fine.

Odd, if it happens again, and I'm sure it will (2nd time in 4 days), I'll have to call Comcast and ask them WTF?

You should call comcast and yell at them anyways. They are bound to f something up at some point.

Will wait to see if it happens again, been almost a week of behaving so hopefully it won't occur again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back