Website Exposure

Well.. I used to run my own site for Anime Music Videos that I created. I managed to take my hitcount from a little 1,000 a month up over 75,000 a month in a matter of 3 months. One of the things that I did was find sites like mine and offer posting a link to their site on mine in exchange for the same. Hosting files for people will sometimes get you a little publicity. Having a good site with good content is definately important. Just be patient.

I have a couple suggestions for you, now that I have gone to the site. You need to lose the animated bars (or cut the size of them conciderably). The page too far too long to load. The pop-ups are annoying. I do not know about the content because the navigation of the site is so slow that I can't get myself to waste time downloading. Just remember... You get what you pay for. The hosting may be free but the service is mediocre.

The idea of the site looks promising, but to be honest,
the best thing you could to to encourage/promote visitors is get a faster host.
It took over 45 seconds to open your homepage and i'm hitting it from work on a 2Mb line...:eek:

2500 hits aint all that bad though 75000 is nice.

on my site (which is only a small one, click my sig to see it) only has 127 hits for this version, I believe I had 900 something on the previous version.

You arent using PHP or anything like that so things like GoogleBot should have no troubles dealing with your links or anything.

You might want to try and plan your site out with a better navigation system (either side or top) so that the user doesnt have to do as much scrolling.

Also I got to agree getting a faster host would help as well.
http://www.empirehosting.org/hosting.php
and get something like the Personal Package which is only $2 a month would speed you up a bit.

Thanks for all the advice. As for downloading time, it used to be sub 20secs. However with all the banners at the bottom its almost doubled. But without banners, I have less publicity - catch 22. Does anyone know what is the FREE fastest web host around. I don't mind paying the $2 a month but till this day I still don't trust e-commerce security (credit card numbers over the net isn't encouraging)

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Well.. I used to run my own site for Anime Music Videos that I created. I managed to take my hitcount from a little 1,000 a month up over 75,000 a month in a matter of 3 months. One of the things that I did was find sites like mine and offer posting a link to their site on mine in exchange for the same. Hosting files for people will sometimes get you a little publicity. Having a good site with good content is definately important. Just be patient.

Thanks. Did you personally email webmasters to swap links or did you use the multitude of automated link exchanges?

Thanks for all the advice. As for downloading time, it used to be sub 20secs. However with all the banners at the bottom its almost doubled. But without banners, I have less publicity - catch 22. Does anyone know what is the FREE fastest web host around. I don't mind paying the $2 a month but till this day I still don't trust e-commerce security (credit card numbers over the net isn't encouraging

There is more chance of you getting your card number stolen in a resturant than over the internet. Doesnt it make you wonder what the waiter COULD be doing with it behind the counter?

Originally posted by bumzig
There is more chance of you getting your card number stolen in a resturant than over the internet. Doesnt it make you wonder what the waiter COULD be doing with it behind the counter?
:D Dodgy underpaid waiters

Originally posted by coathanger007
Thanks for all the advice. As for downloading time, it used to be sub 20secs. However with all the banners at the bottom its almost doubled. But without banners, I have less publicity - catch 22. Does anyone know what is the FREE fastest web host around. I don't mind paying the $2 a month but till this day I still don't trust e-commerce security (credit card numbers over the net isn't encouraging)
Un-fortunately most free hosts will be the same speed, due to them being free they will attract a lot of users slowing the server down (regardless of server/connection speed)

Thanks. Did you personally email webmasters to swap links or did you use the multitude of automated link exchanges?

Well, mine happened over time... You need to develop a friendship of some kind. You may just be able to ask... but that's not how I did it. It helped that our sites offered the same genre of content (personally created anime music videos) and that each site was run by one person (the creator).

Good luck!

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Well, mine happened over time... You need to develop a friendship of some kind. You may just be able to ask... but that's not how I did it. It helped that our sites offered the same genre of content (personally created anime music videos) and that each site was run by one person (the creator).

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll need all of it and more. The good thing about your site is that it's very specific - anime music videos. For me, I'm competing with super dooper mega freeware/shareware sites which have been there for ages and are run by multiple webmasters. Not an easy task ! :(

http://www.freewebs.com is a pretty fast free host. Your ISP should provide you with some sort of free space too, which will be small (mine's 5mb) but really fast, so you could use it to host your html files and banners. How big is your site anyway, it doesn't seem like there's too much taking up space. You could always find a friend with a nice domain and put a folder on their site. Just make sure you redirect your current url, the worst thing you can do to traffic is switch sites.

Thanks for the tip. Currently only my index page is on freeservers and all the other pages are hosted by my ISP. Problem is that my ISP subdomain name is long and unnattractive. Freewebs sounds great but I have poured all my energy promoting freeservers. I'll switch over once I have enough time to redo everything from scratch.

I've heard of tiny link and similar services before. However, what I really want to change is the address shown in search engines etc, not just email. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back