Web slowing?

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
Is it me or is the entire web getting slower and slower. Some sites are now so hard to connect to that I suspect that huge amounts of bandwidth are being stolen somehow. I have checked using various utilities and the entire web has slowed by about 20%.

Any ideas?

the entire web's bandwidth can be checked by a utility on your PC?

I think not. It might be able to check ur bandwidth which can then be blamed on your ISP.

That's strange. I have a fast connection, and in recent times, I have noticed that speed for pages loading, and downloads has slowed down most everywhere but p2p.

Some things will not load at all, I've been having some trouble getting to certain pages. :huh:

I ain't noticed too much of a difference with my 576k ADSL!

Dave, you still using Freeserve?

It appears that they've produced a load of new dial-in numbers from no-where, and a lot of people are reporting different results when using different numbers.
They seem to be very area independant at the moment, for example the number I'm using at present does me fine, yet there are people further north who can't do anything when connected with it.
Let me know if you need the full list of numbers (un-published by freeserve, eejits)

Yes I’m still using Freeserve and have a new connection number. Maybe your right. Send list please.

:happy:

PM sent :)

Have you been contacted by freeserve telling you to change your number at all?
A lot of people have said that Freeserve have told them to download the new "Connection Kit".. which basically changes your DUN number if the connection fails (a feature already implemented into XP)
I havent had anything from Freeserve yet, and im quite happy with the connection, although I did change number last month as the one i -was- using absolutely refused to load most pages.

u got any numbers that'll make Aol work faster?:p

Then why is my cable connection slow?

:p

Because I let Overnet use 1000+ sources and forgot to reset it to something less when I got home.

Generally Dave I'd agree with you. I've noticed all the things you mentioned in your original post.

However last night I got an amazing download connection for a UT map and got 2.65 Mb in about 35 seconds!

Transfer rate started at 130 KBps and never went below 45...

[Freeserve ADSL]

Mubbers

Do you think the war and preparations for it are taking up global Internet bandwidth?

Mubbers

Reckon every web designer and his brother is trying to pack so much "broadband" content etc into pages now that were all on 56K due to excessive flash intros etc.....

You got a thing about the war in Iraq aint ya? :p

Well it's happening and no doubt a vast amount data is being transfered as part of the operation, so it seemed like a valid question.

Not political.

Mubbers

Lets not forget the war that is going on. If you are trying to get to any site that hosts news then you are probably going to get a slow response.

Henyman
u got any numbers that'll make Aol work faster?:p
Yes, try 0800 970 8890
Its the request number for a freeserve CD, phone them, get signed up with a real isp! damnit!

Mubbers, did you know that Freeserve DSL is actually the slowest in the entire UK ?

ErbMaster - I know I lost the pills earlier but I found them now! :D

SpeedyB - ha! I had begun to suspect as much - what are the best alternatives...?

Mubbers

i want freeserve!!!!!

unfortunatly the bill payers (me parents) dont:huh:

Mubbers - Nildram ( http://www.getadsl.co.uk ) where found to be the fastaest in the UK. £22.99/mnth for there "lite" package, which is basically the same as the normal one but minus webspace/e-mail/static IP.. nothing is filtered, P2P etc still work.

Henyman - erm, aint Freeserve Cheaper than Gehy-o-Hell ?
freeserve is currently £14.99 a month.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back