Web Service

N

Not Bman

Say I wanted to start my own web service company (like that would ever go anywhere), what do I have to do, and what do I go about doing, gettting, needed etc.

I know, a computer built to support space and bandwidth and such, but how do you get on the internet persay...

You would need to find a co-lo to host your server. Hopefully one that has redundacy. I pay a lot for mine. But I also get 24/7 support.

Most ISPs (cable providers, DSL, etc.) frown on hosting your services and it is normally against the terms of usage.

How do they do it, how do they provide people with space and emails and all that stuff...?

You would have your own server. A co-lo would just keep it online for you.

Lord is cheap - but you support yourself... Define web service company a llittle more closely though if you want a real answer....

If you are looking to perform hosting etc you will definitely require a number of machines configured in different ways and access to bandwidth quite beyond the domestic realms - maybe 20GB fibre or something.

You need knowledge of and installation of software and systems to support the services you plan to offer. Then you need the admin infrastucture to service contracts for providing those services and billing for them - you should also have disaster contingency and backup covered. The list goes on - but first you really need to define what you are about.

got answered more then I asked, that's great. I was just wondering about this stuff, maybe one day, who knows maybe I will do it. I was also thinking, maybe I could become one of those image upload sites or something.

It's all just thinking and such, no planning lol

Thanks

well your best bet would be to get a dedicated server from someone close to your intended market.

theplanet.com for usa target, coreix.net for uk/europe and leaseweb for mainland europe are a few suggestions.

Most datacentres provide you with a few control panel systems as options that let you do the packages you see from most hosting companies reletivley easliy.

you'd want to look into something clike clientexec or modernbill too. Both of these billing packages interface to the most popular commercial control panels.

modernbill and clientexec also integrate with some of the larger API based domain registrars like enom and directi.

24/7 support I've learned is a requirement now rather than an optional extra so you'd want to find yourself a 3rd party support company (though not one from india - they do silly things to servers...)

I could go on but I'm not writing a book and I'm by no means an expert :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back