Web Server

1st enable ftp on the second pic:p

also when they login which folder do they go 2?

I don't personally use a hardware firewall so I can't really help you on that part. I would say that anything and everything dealing with port 21 on your firewall needs to be set too allow access, TCP and UDP.

Also, on your FTP client side... you need to play with the passive mode settings since you do have a firewall. There will be an option in your FTP client (I Use FlashFXP 2.x) to set each individual connection up for PASV "Yes" or "No". Try both settings. One will work and allow you in. I run a software firewall and I have to do this also for remote connections to get through to my Serv-U server.

Hrm ok I enabled those ports, UDP and whatever it was,

They are enabled under port 21 public and local is that rite yea?

There is no option to enable passive on WS_FTP,

If I enable the "FTP" option on the router it seems to only let u log into the router under the routers admin name and pass :(

Any ideas?

Skazz

Yes, like I said before, go to this thread:
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32376
and follow the instructions I've posted there (maybe I should summarise them? aw, later).

Pic one looks ok, except you need to forward a passive (PASV) port range. Hopefully you can type in 6000-6100 (or whatever) to get a range.

Pic two looks ok, I don't think you should enable FTP there, looks fishy. Check the manual.

Pic three has nothing to do with it.

Good luck. :)

Here is my ftp client view:

FTPconfig1.JPG

FTPconfig.JPG

Skazz

I can't actually enable a range :(

The FTP Server on the router, is just so u can log into the router from WAN or LAN and update its firmware and software :(

What now?

I have given u just about all my configurations over these 2 pages:D

Skazz

Bummer. Maybe you should use some FTP server software wher you CAN do this? Would be easier. :)

I can access your server now btw, so the port 21 forwarding works. No login though... (*duuh*) ;)

WS_FTP Server really sucks... you should try Serv-U (good FTP server software) or something else (G6/BulletProof). And always use a FTP client that allows you to control whether your connections are to be PASV or not... this gives you more control and flexibility, especially when troubleshooting.

Ok I deleted WS_FTP and d/l'ed Serv-U, still cant get it to work :(

My IP: 81.152.160.65
My dyndns: skazzyuk.dyndns.org
Port: 21

What is wrong with that?

I have allowed passive mode on ip: 81.152.160.65 or should it be allowed on my internal ip?

Skazz

Grrrrrrrr Why won't it just work the piece of poo :(:(:mad: :mad:

The error it comes up with now is

:
Code:
Error 11004 (Valid name, no data record of requested type) finding address for host

Hrm here are the latest screenies of my progress:

Tell me whats wrong with these:

FTPconfig4.JPG

FTPconfig3.JPG

Please please help!!!

Skazz:cool: :mad:

Now that you're using Serv-U you should PM chaos945 and ask him for the exact settings since he has a similar setup. If that doesn't work it's just about configuring you're router.

Hey, sure I'd be glad to explain. Below are listed the necessary steps.

1. Prep -

First off you need to open up a clear path to the ports your trying to use, namely ports 21 and your PASV ports. (which is left up to your discretion)

To do this we need to configure your router. Now I am going to assume you DO NOT have a software firewall or any other port blocking apps. If you do have these apps on or installed I recommend you either turn them off or uninstall them now to save us a bit of a headache, (i.e., Zonealarm, Windows Xp Firewall) to make things a bit easier while we try to get this FTP up and running.

Second thing we are going to do is double check our network setup. (make sure everything is plugged in :))

2. Configuring your Router –

Some routers come with configuration applications but like mine (Linksys Wireless Access Point Router, model BEFW11S4) it only has built in software. How do you access the built in software on your router? Well the best thing to do is look in your manual and see where the hell it could possibly be, but to access mine you need to know the Gateway address and the default password.

To get your Gateway address just use the RUN command in the start menu type: “Command”, then while inside DOS type “ipconfig /all”. Look for the numerical values beside “Default Gateway” (check out the screen shot if you are confused)

Screenshot 1

Now that we have that we can access the built in routing software. While in your favourite webbrowser (Opera, Internet Explorer) type http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (with the x’s being the values told to you by ipconfig, i.e. http://192.168.1.1 for me) A password dialogue will probably pop up. Now this could be a problem if you can’t figure out the default password, but after I had finished panicking I looked in my manual and it told me exactly what to do, just leave the user name blank and type "admin” for the default password. Yours might be a bit different, consult your manual as necessary. (BTW, you should take note as to what your “IP Address” is since that is the PVN IP your going to be inputting for all your configurations inside the router software, NOT YOUR ACTUAL IP)

Once you’re in, the software should look something like the screen shot below. First off we need to configure the “Port Forwarding” options; and configure it in a similar way as mine shows. The PASV ports are up to you, but I chose to use very high digit ones so as to not cause any conflicts with other apps trying to use low value ports. The difference between the first and second values determines the number of PASV connections allowed to your FTP server. I chose to use 49 connections. You also need to open up the FTP port and allow file transfer, see the second screen shot if you are confused as to what I mean.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

3. Configuring ServU -

Now I am just going to assume you know how to setup a Default FTP server and a user account. To make things easier though I would use an Anonymous user account so we can have a simple path to test the server. To configure ServU just follow the screenshots posted below, the areas in red are the important values.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

4. Using dynamic DNS -

Well technically you could just use your local IP assigned by your DHCP to get on your FTP but if you wanted to link or share your server easily with people telling them your new IP every few hours MIGHT just get a bit annoying. So if you do use a forwarding website such as www.no-ip.com (which I use) you can just link to that and when your new IP comes around just update the site info instead of everything else you would have had to. See screenshot to be clear, I made a specific group so I could update easily by just inputting my new IP.

Screenshot 1

Now that all this is finished you should now be able to access your FTP. (it got a bit rushed at the end but I am in a hurry, just ask if you have any questions)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back