web server question

AcftMecH

OSNN Addict
hi, I just setup a web server on my home pc for my personal use and a couple of friends. I have a login for it. Everything works well, except when i am on the PC with the server installed and I go to a website like www.msnbc.com , for example, i get prompted to login to ads.msn.com

a few other websites do this as well, and they all seem to have something to do with ads.

Is there any way to stop this?

Thanks!

AcftMecH

AcftMecH said:
hi, I just setup a web server on my home pc for my personal use and a couple of friends. I have a login for it. Everything works well, except when i am on the PC with the server installed and I go to a website like www.msnbc.com , for example, i get prompted to login to ads.msn.com

a few other websites do this as well, and they all seem to have something to do with ads.

Is there any way to stop this?

Thanks!

AcftMecH

it's for me to say what your problem is, although you don't even bother to put what OS you are using, what webserver (Hopefully apache) and such you are using. These could be very important in helping figure out the problem

yep, you are correct. I should have put that info. sorry about that.

anyways, I am runnning XP pro, and no i am not using apache at this time. i am using a server called "key focus web server". whatever the problem is, it is probably related to my other problem i just found out about from firends.

on my server pc (desktop), i can go out and use http://blabla.no-ip.com and reach the website fine. i can also use this method from my laptop (networked through router) and get the my website. but friends were saying they could not see it. so i started playing around, i turned off the firewall on my router (i dont have a firewall on the PCs) and now i cant access the website using the no-ip.com dns name. only through http://localhost. seems wierd.

I have tried apache, it seemed difficult at first, but may try it again, i have learned alot through working with this web server.

anyways, thanks for any inputs.

AcftMecH!

just forward port 80 to the LAN IP of the server, PC's inside your network do not have to go out of the LAN to access the website so they are inside the firewall, that is why they can access the site.

I use KF Web Server, GREAT PROGRAM BTW, and I host about 7 websites with absolutly no problem. Like j79zlr said, you need to forward port 80 on your router to your server's LAN ip. If its not static then you need to set a static LAN ip.

thanks for all of the inputs. I do have a question about port forwarding though. I have the smc7004vbr router. It does not have a "port forwarding section", but does have some port options in the NAT area? I have attached 2 pics of these options to see if maybe you could get me (or let me know if I am) on the right track. Not much help online about this.

Thanks!

AcftMecH

Attachments

• nat.JPG
    nat.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 98
  • special.JPG
    special.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 86
From that I would think you want to use the Virtual servers, use port 80 as the public port and enter the LAN IP of the server for the private IP. BTW you dont have to masquerade 192.168.102 as you LAN IP's are not really a security threat ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back