Web server question continued...

AcftMecH

OSNN Addict
I have a web server that works for outside users when I assign it to port 90 but not to the default port 80. I thought it may have been my router stopping it from working, but I took the router out of the picture and had my cable modem hooked up to the pc server and it still didnt work for outside computers. I looked in the windows services to see if there would be anything there that may be stopping it, but didnt see anything to obvious. I am not using winXP firewall, or any other firewall for that matter except the router. Even if I disable the router firewall, I have same problem.

Any suggestions on why it would not work on the default port 80 like it should?

Thanks!

AcftMecH!

perhaps your ISP is blocking it...

i'm sure that in the AUP it says you can't run a web server (although many do anyway) :)

Like cpu said,

It is not you, but 99% your ISP. If you are not paying for a monthly hosting account, your port 80 will be closed off.

Heeter

One reason DSL is better than cable, they are usually more lax in their rules. Some cable co's will not even let you use a router.

j79zlr said:
One reason DSL is better than cable, they are usually more lax in their rules. Some cable co's will not even let you use a router.
true, a firend couldnt use a router with her ISP, she called them and they fixed it. As to the port, your prob right, the ISP is blockin it. My ISP doesnt (thanks god!!)!

yea most cable companies prohibit incoming requests on port 80 to keep users from running webservers. lowers their demand for bandwidth and keeps a limited few from sucking up the entire local bandwidth in a shared region because they run a webserver. Odds are you would have to get a business account from your cable company and pay a crap load more to get a routed connection for your port 80.

That's funny,

Around here, it is the ADSL company the blocks Port80 and any relaying, so any Mailservers are out of the question as well. The Cable ISP might run a port scanner once in a while, if they have had complaints about spamming originating from their servers.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back