Web Server Folders

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
There are 6 folders on my BT Web Server, that will not delete. There are folders in them, that also will not delete. I can upload my Web Site OK, and it works OK, provided I put it into one of the existing folders. I am not able to make a new folder. I have tried several FTP programs, but they all have been the same, as they will not delete existing folders or create new ones.
I have other Web Servers and have no trouble with them.
Is it likely that these folders are BT created and necessary for the Site to work.

The folders are shown as - bin, Pub, user and id with one just showing //. I cannot delete any of them, or upload, or create, a new folder. But I can upload all my Web Folders, and pages, into the pub folder, which seems to work fine, but means I cannot have more than one Web. On other servers I have, I can create as many folders as I wish, and put different Web Sites in each of them, provided of course I don't exceed my quota.

I don't think you should delete these folders. You are meant to put the webpages in the pub folder, and any other pages in subfolders to pub. I agree that it wouls have been wiser of the host to set the pub folder as the root folder you see when you log in, but this does not seem to be the case here.

I take it that you don't have to type in the "pub" part in the url when accessing the page?

No, I don't have to use pub when viewing my Web Site. It must just be the way that BT operate their site then. My NTL Server doesn't show any other folders but the ones I create. I have three sites up with them, and I just refer to them as a b c, and they work fine. I thought that was how it would have been with BT.

The difference would be to put a, b and c inside pub. My old ISP had a similar system except their folder was called "html".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back