Web Reporting/Filtering Applications?

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Does anyone have enough experience with any web reporting/filtering applications to make a recommendation?

I only have experience with Websense, but I have a client (four desktop users) that is obviously too small for it. So I am looking for advice. The owner thinks she has a problem with one of the employees and would like the ability to track where her employees go on the web. It doesn't necessarily need to filter.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

There is an app that has been all over Max PC/Pc World lately - can't recall what it is off the top of my head. I'll look when I get home or tomorrow morning and post, or you can look :D

I passed on the first option. I don't think the client is going to go for it given the cost. I'll take a look at the second option tomorrow. Thanks Derek.

Depending on the network infrastructure, you could just setup a mirror port on the switch and run ethereal (now called wireshark I think) to log data with a custom filter on a specific machine..

depending on what they are using as their proxy/firewall device, it may have some reporting built in..

Money is an object because it is a smaller firm (four employees). Since you are locked into buying 10 licenses (with the first suggestion) there is a lot of waste. She said she is going to have a staff meeting first, then go from there.

Thank you for your suggestions (I will keep them for future reference).

I'd also like to see what you finally do go with and how it works out, please do keep us posted.

She's in a really bad mood now. One of the computers is infected with all sorts of malware and even a trojan or two. I will be scrubbing the system and then applying some policies to prevent users from installing software.

I love how moronic users make money for people like you and me :D

It's what keeps our worlds going. We can't all be fitz with a nice cushy job. =]

Depending on the network infrastructure, you could just setup a mirror port on the switch and run ethereal (now called wireshark I think) to log data with a custom filter on a specific machine..

depending on what they are using as their proxy/firewall device, it may have some reporting built in..

Thats what I was going to suggest as well for a small scale enviroment.

This is probably the best option for you. No additional equipment is required and Wireshark is open source. Any type of filtering software that you are looking for is going to be expensive and usually requires a minimum number of licenses.

I know at my job we use whats called iPrism. Its a fantastic filtering solution, but it costs a fortune haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back