Web Page Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

omg its nlm

lvl 17 Hax
I am going to making a web page for my works intranet. I want to keep the same layout for every page (backround tool bars ect) I was wondering the best way I should code it? asp php css?

Any help would be great thanks!

Either asp and php can use css.
using a single css sheet for all will cut down the size and help keep anything you setup constant.

NLM said:
I am going to making a web page for my works intranet. I want to keep the same layout for every page (backround tool bars ect) I was wondering the best way I should code it? asp php css?

Any help would be great thanks!
Do you have any programming experience? I used VB a lot, so ASP was nex tbest and easier step than PHP.

If you want to use a standard format (e.g. Header, Side/Nav bar, Footer, Content) you really need a dynamic server that enables server side includes. I've got some basic code in ASP if that'll hellp, and I'm pretty sure ppl here have simple PHP examples.

I have a programming degree and this will sit on its own server, thanks for the help so far.

If you are familiar with C programming or Java then I would recommend PHP over ASP as it has a similar syntax and layout, ASP is more like Shell scripting IMHO

What are the differences between asp and php, just differnt coding?

For my layout i was thinking of keeping the same format for everything and than having the center of the page load differnt things. (like frames)

php includes work good for this, the big advantage to CSS is that you can change the entire website look by changing one file

I have never done ASP code, but a friend of mine has and I was looking through his and if statements are all

if "blah" then
dfkasdfal;ksdf;laskd
else
ldksajdh

think that was how it went anyways
php is more of
if (blah) {
ahjdladlka;
} else {
dafsjlkdjfkas;
}

The difference between PHP and ASP is not exactly in the syntax (since all programming is different in this way). The actual difference is that ASP code runs either on an Windows IIS server or via ChiliSoft ASP (which is not very good IMHO). Unless you are using a Windows IIS Server (which I DO NOT recommend), ASP is going to be parsed via a third party program, which will make pages load slower on your server. PHP, on the other hand, can be integrated into Apache (or whatever webserver software you use) and does not require extra software to run (although it does create a small process).

If I were you, I would go with PHP.

Reg said:
The difference between PHP and ASP is not exactly in the syntax (since all programming is different in this way). The actual difference is that ASP code runs either on an Windows IIS server or via ChiliSoft ASP (which is not very good IMHO). Unless you are using a Windows IIS Server (which I DO NOT recommend),

REG...NLM stated that is was for a works intranet....why would you not recomend windows IIS and ASP for this?

Windows IIS has so many bugs, virus hacks, and configuration errors that I do not recommend any Windows machine for a website, whether it be on a an intranet, or the internet. Personally, I would use a simple Linux server to host the site via PHP.

Windows 2000 Server + IIS = 1 Ghz, 512 MB ram, 5 GB HD *
Linux (Debian) = 133 Mhz, 32 MB ram, 2 GB HD *

Base install with server:
Windows: 2 GB on disk (IIS included)
Debian: 100 MB (Apache included)

Base install no server:
Windows: 1.5 Gb on disk
Debian: 50 MB

In this case, a 133 Mhz might be a bit low, but it could handle it fine, if you have something beefier, like a 500 Mhz with 128 MB ram, it will off course be faster.

If you wanted you could write all your code in C/C++ and execute that and send it to the browser like that, but PHP would be my choice.

Reg said:
Windows IIS has so many bugs, virus hacks, and configuration errors that I do not recommend any Windows machine for a website, whether it be on a an intranet, or the internet. Personally, I would use a simple Linux server to host the site via PHP.

If it is a works server wouldn't one assume that its behind a firewall etc so virus hacks from the outside world shouldn't be a problem. If you have a properly configured webserver are the threats really that great?, again is the spec of a pc really that big a deal!.

I guess its down to personal choice in the end

If you don't currently know either PHP or ASP IMO i would learn ASP.

Aside from the 'security' issues x-istence and Reg talk about, I think if you learn learn ASP these skills will be more usefull to you in the future if you did want another job etc - look at any IT recruiting website at skills by demand etc and ASP is usually in the top 15 - a good reason to learn it I think.

Linux/unix, apache and therefore PHP along with MySQL are run on over 2/3rd of internet servers and would make me think that is the way to go.

Screw IIS and ASP, worthless I say. Besides who wants to pay the extraordinary licensing fees required by all of their products?

Reg said:
The difference between PHP and ASP is not exactly in the syntax (since all programming is different in this way). The actual difference is that ASP code runs either on an Windows IIS server or via ChiliSoft ASP (which is not very good IMHO). Unless you are using a Windows IIS Server (which I DO NOT recommend), ASP is going to be parsed via a third party program, which will make pages load slower on your server. PHP, on the other hand, can be integrated into Apache (or whatever webserver software you use) and does not require extra software to run (although it does create a small process).

I was only refering to the way it is formatted, in relation to other programming languages, PHP is more like C. ASP to me, I have only seen the code a friend of mine was writing and it just didnt scream out what it was doing as easily as I have seen PHP code do.

I would always recommend PHP to someone who is familiar with C or Java and things like that.

lad_in_brum said:
If it is a works server wouldn't one assume that its behind a firewall etc so virus hacks from the outside world shouldn't be a problem. If you have a properly configured webserver are the threats really that great?, again is the spec of a pc really that big a deal!.

I guess its down to personal choice in the end

If you don't currently know either PHP or ASP IMO i would learn ASP.

Aside from the 'security' issues x-istence and Reg talk about, I think if you learn learn ASP these skills will be more usefull to you in the future if you did want another job etc - look at any IT recruiting website at skills by demand etc and ASP is usually in the top 15 - a good reason to learn it I think.

Firewall? If port 80 is open and IIS has a problem, they can still get in. Apache has been shown to be a lot more secure.

Also, ASP is so similar to visual basic that it doesnt really matter, but overall, corporate sites are looking for Java or PHP based technologies as they are also getting sick and tired of having their servers not cope with stuff.

Thats just my experience.

Well thanks for all the help guys. I think i will go with PHP or at least I should say give it a try. We have a nice server laying around (dual 2.4s 2gigs of ram and all the other good stuff)

NLM said:
Well thanks for all the help guys. I think i will go with PHP or at least I should say give it a try. We have a nice server laying around (dual 2.4s 2gigs of ram and all the other good stuff)

[shakes his head]...

Man, I don't mean to offend you, but i must be damn nice for a company to have that server "laying" around and have the person responsible for creating the intranet have a "CS Degree" and not know the difference between ASP and PHP.

Again, I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but was this just a bogus question to get public opinion on ASP vs PHP?

ignipotentis said:
[shakes his head]...

Man, I don't mean to offend you, but i must be damn nice for a company to have that server "laying" around and have the person responsible for creating the intranet have a "CS Degree" and not know the difference between ASP and PHP.

Again, I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but was this just a bogus question to get public opinion on ASP vs PHP?
Yeah...If you have a programming degree, you shouldn't need to be asking uswhat to do, you're supposed to be the "professional". :eek: :rolleyes:

MissingIntellect said:
Yeah...If you have a programming degree, you shouldn't need to be asking uswhat to do, you're supposed to be the "professional". :eek: :rolleyes:

Again, please don't mis-interpret my question. I wasn't trying to insult the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back