Web Page Desing Help - Using FP

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
Hey Guys,

I have never designed a web page from scratch but now I want to help my Bass Club by getting there web page updated with a fresh look.

It looks as though I could have easily designed the page as/is...

Which is to say, that is sucks, and a 4- year old could have done it...

What is the best Editor to use right now, and what are some good guidelines to start from?

I have Front Page at work, which I will probably use when I am not terribly busy...

See the webpage I am talking about HERE

Thanks

Mike A!

I like Notepad (I still code everything by hand) and Dreamweaver 8.

If you need/want a copy (fully legit and legal; never used before) I will sell it to you far below retail cost.

eww... frames!

I would second madmatt in notepad (or notepad++ or similiar lightweight replacement) and Dreamweaver

Just an FYI Frontpage is afaik no longer supported by Microsoft and more and more Hosting companies are pulling Frontpage Extensions support from their servers. I would recommend anything other than Frontpage.

My favourite editor at the moment is TextMate but its a bit pricey if you don't meet the minimum requirements to use it.

A basic text editor like Windows Notepad or Notepad2 is going to give you the most flexibility when building a website. It requires more knowledge and more of a time investment, but it is worth it.

Dreamweaver has gotten better than it used to be, but I still prefer a quick, lightweight text editor.

Frontpage is probably the worst tool you can use for web development because of all the IE specific generated code and its tendency to butcher manually edited pages. FrontPage 2003 doesn't mangle things as bad as earlier versions, but it's still pretty craptastic.

You could always try Microsoft Expression
http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/Expression-Web/default.mspx

FrontPage is the best solutions for fast and easy creating WebPages.
It generates not optimized code, but not terrible yet.
(At last you can clean it manually ;)
Also there are many free webpage templates in Internet. You can get it and fill in by your own content.

Your site is not bad. On my taste ;) aqua color is too bright and possible you can use other colors for header and for left-side menu.

About editors.. Of course you can use notepad.
But there are thousands free HTML editor with syntax hilight and other features.
http://www.html-kit.com is very power.
http://www.pspad.com/
I use this editors.

WBR, Andrew

Just an FYI Frontpage is afaik no longer supported by Microsoft and more and more Hosting companies are pulling Frontpage Extensions support from their servers. I would recommend anything other than Frontpage.

My favourite editor at the moment is TextMate but its a bit pricey if you don't meet the minimum requirements to use it.

I would second TextMate, on Mac OS X that is. While, 39 EUR is pricey, the software is well worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back