Web Host

albybum

Penguin Rancher
Ok, I have been with the steaming pile of crap that is Northwind Web Host/Vizhost since it's inception and have had nothing but problems. Just recently they were purchased by an employee because the company was going to disolve.

With persistant downtime, billing issues, and limited resources for the cost - I have been forced to move on even though I don't want to have to move and patch everything.

Now my question. Does anyone use a good inexpensive web host that they can recommend. Sub 10 bucks USD per month.

I have been looking at http://www.ipowerweb.com/ and they look pretty solid.

I need a fairly modern version of Apache on a Unix/Linux system with MySQL and PHP. As much data transfer as I can get. The disk space and pop email accounts can be small. A control panel would be nice to have but not required. I would also need Secure Shell access to the server.

Any ideas / thoughts / comments?

I new someone on ipowerweb and they hated every moment, really bad support and crap like that.

1and1.com looked really good, thanks a bunch. Already signed up and taking the 3 month tour.

Thanks again :)

Glad to help.
smile.gif

I've been using http://hostmatix.com for about two years now, the longest I have lasted with a webhost. I've never experienced downtime, and their customer service is excellent. Definetly check them out.

I personally like Parcom (http://www.parcom.net/) but they don't offer Linux hosting any longer. They recently expanded the space I get with my account up to 1gb, I have unlimited bandwidth, and a great list of features. Anyone else interested that don't require the server to be linux, I would sugest it any day.

Take Care,
Mike

if anyone offers you unlimited bandwidth I'd be concerned.. there is no such thing, I would be less concerend if they gave you unlimited data transfer however.

I belive their exact wording is "Unmetered Bandwidth". It is only when a site gets to the point that they are detrimental to the others on the same server that they "suggest an upgrade". This is a family run business, but I have never worked with a host that had better tech support.

Take Care,
Mike

yahoo.com or angelfire offer good deals, they're 99.9999% always up.

albybum said:
Ok, I have been with the steaming pile of crap that is Northwind Web Host/Vizhost since it's inception and have had nothing but problems.
I was once as well. Didn't turn out well for me either. If you are looking for a reliable shared hosting company I would have you look at http://www.wwm.net. They have hosted sites for me before and have been the best at keeping their customer informed. I have nothing but good to say about them. The prices are great and the packages are numerous. I highly recommend them for shared hosting.

ApparitionX said:
wow, great prices indeed.
:)
And seriously good customer service in my opinion. They always keep the customer updated via their forums. I have had pokerforums (in my sig) hosted there for quite a while and have never experienced any slowdown or downtime.

Thanks folks :)

I settled in at 1and1.com and things have transferred fairly well so far. My domain is in the process of transferring over to them. That should be the only downtime I have.

Pros:
Fast speeds, 50 GB of data transfer, 2GB data storage. All for 10 bucks.

The cons: Their implimentation of MySQL is a little awkward. My database name was preassigned, my username for the database was preassigned, and it has a specific hostname for me to login with. Security for them, but a hassle for me. And I was restricted to 1 database.

I had to dump all my tables into that one database because I am too cheap to pay 10 bucks for an extra one. Good thing they are designed for small data records.

As I need more space for customers, I might try out one of these other hosts for a month or two to see what they are like, but so far I am really happy with 1and1.com.

I have my e-mail and some web stuff hosted at www.routhost.com. No problems so far. I only needed technical support once, and I got a reply to my e-mail within an hour ... and this was in the middle of the night.

I'm still tapping my feet waiting for thekore to plug the host he is on :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back