Web accelerators explain please

zapoqx

Striking Master
Ok, I gotta know this, what is the point of web accelerators?? I mean the last time I used one waaayyyy back with netzero and dial-up, I had used one and while I did notice increase on the speed of loading a web page, for the most part, it just decreased the quality of images unless you tell it to show the said image in its highest form.

I saw google has a web accelerator, but I mean, does it do anything different or does it do the same thing as what I said before?

While you look at a page online the web accelerator starts caching the pages that are linked from it, that way when you click one of the links, some of the content on the following page has already been downloaded. That's the way they worked back in the day when I tried them -- things may have changed some but I haven't looked at them in years.

I really don't see the point in using one if you have broadband. I mean, it might provide a small increase in the speed of page loads, but being on broadband should probably be good enough on its own.

Some of the older accelerators would just increase the size of your browsers cache so when you went back to a page it would load faster

btw your avatar is really creepy

Thanks for the explanation. I never seen though about what you say of the browsers cache nor the pre-loading some content of a pages in a link ahead of time.

googles web accellerator pre-loads all external links to about 3 deep. so you are preloading another 3 sites at anyone time. the probability of you clicking a pre-loaded link is very small so it just wastes bandwidth rather than speeding anything up.

If you want your connection to go faster, pay more.

Yeah, Web accelerators are not worth the time or effort. They don't make any noticeable changes. In fact, some of them put some stupid third party spyware peace of crap in your system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back