We can rebuild.........?

tibboh

Arte et Marte
The old P111 is getting a bit long in the tooth, so i fancy upgrading but am interested in building a decent machine (P4) rather than buy complete assembly and would be MOST gratefull to anyone who is in the process of building (or have built) a new beastie.

Rather than waste time & effort (and dosh) if u could list all recommended items (UK specs) to totally complete a rebuild within a tower system I can then do some pricing to see if viable

Many thanks in anticipation

First of all unless you like wasting money, don't buy a P4, AMD is just a good if not better.

I like MSI Motherboards, and Vid Cards, so my list would be somethign like this, however, before everybody starts screaming this is my opinion.

1. MSI K7N2-L SKT A nForce2, AT133, NIC, AGP8X, 1 Firewire, 6 Soundcard, USB2.0, 3 DDR, 5 PCI

2. AMD Athlon XP 2200+

3. DDR 512MB 333MHz - PC2700

4. 80GB WD - 7200 RPM - ATA100

5. MSI Geforce4 TI4200-8X 128MB

6. Creative Lab Audigy2 Platinum

that should get u started

cool.gif

Iceman

Do you have an idea of what 3Dmark score such a config would get us ???

(I'm looking to upgrade my PIII too, I'm thorn between a P4 2.4 and an XP 2200+, I've been using Intel for 15 years+ so I'm hesitant to switch..... but Intel is so much more expensive)

Originally posted by world_traveler
Iceman

(I'm looking to upgrade my PIII too, I'm thorn between a P4 2.4 and an XP 2200+, I've been using Intel for 15 years+ so I'm hesitant to switch..... but Intel is so much more expensive)

STOCK with no oc'ing you will probably be looking at around 10500/11000 3dmarks...

with ocing and what not you will see a higher score :)

dependin on what you use your pc for... the 2200+ is faster than the 2.4 or the 2.4 is faster than the 2200+

I use both @ work and all the office apps we use the 2200+ is faster than the 2.4ghz p4... very noticeably...

in other benches you will see a differnet story.. it is a nice solution though you can't really go wrong with either...

Many thanks for ur info, iceman - i will look seriously at the AMD as advised (always one for saving money <scottish blood>).

regards

tibboh

Originally posted by world_traveler
Iceman

Here is my set up. If I OC the card to 300/600 I get 10990
No OC ing the card I get 10300. Still trying to find the right driver combo.

so if world_traveler gets what I said he should have even a faster score

1. its a AMD

2. faster Ram pc2700 vs. pc2100

3. Video card I told him is 8x

score

cool.gif

thanks for that zoey - every little bit helps, its got to be more fun than buying a "package" from the local PC World.

tibboh

I was told between 8000 to 9000 by the rep of the local computer shop. Maybe he was conservative so I wouldn't come back with the system if I didn't get 10000.....

I might settle for a 2100+, for some odd reason they are 25% cheaper than the 2200+ here..... I wonder why.

well I wouldn't rely on a rep in the local computer store, for one thing usually they don't know wtf they are talking about.

25% less for a 2100+ i would do that

cool.gif

Yes Iceman, that's what I think I'll do.

170$ versus 280$ (canadian dollars). (over 25% in fact).

anyway the speed difference between my P3-500 and the 2100+ should keep satisfied for a couple of months :p

So:

XP2100+
Gigabyte GA-7VAX
512 DDR333
MSI GF4 4200 128Meg DDR....
etc

That config should allow me to play the next Simcity, no ???
:blink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back