WD 7200 8mb VS Maxtor 7200

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Ok I dont get it lol I got 2 x 40Gig WD 7200 rpm and I also got 1 x maxtor 40 Gig 7200 and 2 x 30 gig 7200 maxtor's

Why are the maxtor's faster ? I would have thought the WD with the 8mb cache would have been ??

Anyone know why ? and under what circumstance should the 8mb cache make a difference ?

if I would have known I would have got more maxtors lolol

The speed of the drive isn't only dependent on the cache size. There are many other factors such as read times, seek times etc. The 8mb cache *should* perform better when moving large files and video editing etc.

when you say they're faster, what are you using to gauge this?

I like Western Digital's 3-Year no-hassle warraty. My 80GB hard drive pooped out on me last week, and they put a new one in my hands at no cost within five days of telling them I had a problem, and they will do the same thing for me until March of 2006. They didn't charge my credit card, and just asked that I send them the old one. What service!

As far as speed goes, it might not even be noticeable to you. A Medal of Honor map could load up in 4.6 seconds on one, and 4.9 seconds on the other.

I like WD for incredible service :)

Originally posted by taurus
when you say they're faster, what are you using to gauge this?

In any performance test , ie sandra, performance test 4 , ATTO, all give better performance on the maxtor.

But its true the 3 years is a bonus. Dont get me wrong I love my WD's , was more of a general question.

I will try and test with larger video files and see if the 8mb shows some balls lol :)

Hmmm.

What 3 year warantee on WD?

The news last fall was that they dropped back to the industry standard 1 year warantee. Did they chicken out and stick with their old warantee? Or is the 3 year just for premium drive models now?

I dont know about all their drives but mine are 3 years , the maxtor's 1

Originally posted by LeeJend
Hmmm.

What 3 year warantee on WD?

The news last fall was that they dropped back to the industry standard 1 year warantee. Did they chicken out and stick with their old warantee? Or is the 3 year just for premium drive models now?

Just make sure that whoever you buy them from has the 3-year advertised. You can always check your serial on the internet to see how much warranty you have left. The white-label (made by WD, marketed by someone else) are the 1-year-warranty drives.

BTW The one I have that is under warranty until 2006 was built 28 Jan 2003, according to the label.

Serial No Model No Status Exp Date
WCAD18819930 WD400JB-00ENA0 In Limited Warranty 6/5/2006

Drives eligible for Replacement: 1
Drives ineligible for Replacement: 0

Here is what WD shows me when I go to their support site.

They advertise the 3 years on their web page

http://www.wdc.com/en/index.asp?Language=en

the WD Cavier* SE are 3 years

:)

i think the wd 8mb cache has 3 years warranty whereas those wd 2mb chache has 1 years warranty (those resellers told me)
correct me if i'm wrong ;)

are your WD's perhaps hooked into a pci raid card or IDE controller? this might be why they are slower....

No they are hooked into the ide 2 controller I do have ide 3 and ide 4 for raid but its not in use ... and I have heard that it is slow bretenn will tell ya that :)

Its ok its not like they are slow per say they just dont seem to perform as fast as the maxtor's , all that aside I am happy with them was just curious about the speed. I will wait a bit and buy me a couple of SATA HD's and wont worry about speed :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back