WD 120 HD with 8mb cache good buy?

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
just wanted to know if its any good, the WD 120 HD with 8mb cache. or should i go with sata drive?...gonna b at work 2nite so i'll probably be checkin your replies 2morrow n buy it 2morrow as well as

abit nf7-s mobo
amd xp 2500 m cpu
1024 ddr ram
antec p160 case

if you guys could help me out with the hd tha'd be great..whats the best for long life and performance..

i acutally have both, it depends on what all your board can support. the 120 9mb buffer drive really hauls ass. but upgrading to sata, if your board can support it is hight recommended by me. Especially the WD raptor drives. Personally ill go with the sata's but that 120 is a great buy as well.

abit nf7-s is gonna b the one im using the new hd with
and i think it has sata support
could someone explain what sata is..what it does/why its better kinda thing?..

If you can go with SATA thats a plus :)

In my machine I currently have a 120gb Diamond9 by Maxtor 133.
On my desk I have two 160gb Diamond9 SATA 150 :D

i own 2 of the wd 120 gigs 8 megs catches. only type of drive i have never had fail. :)

complete opposite here, WD did not serve me well.
But then, that was back in t'day.

just a question...
the abit nf7-s
its got ..well read

Serial ATA is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA storage interface. This new high-speed interface burst data transfer rate up to 150 Mbytes/sec and more flexible power tolerances, cables can be smaller and more efficient.

thas wha it says...
but it says it has a ide to serial ata convertor..so can i get a reg drive n get sata on it with this or what?..any abit users know?

You can put a SATA drive on the IDE port using the adapter but the throughput will be limited to the ide speeds and the cables will be the bulky ribbons.

As for the WD 120g w/8mb buffer. I have 2 and they are excellent drives. Never had a WD drive fail in the 15 years I've been using them.

One thing. With the high density drives (120 gig or higher) make sure you have a case fan cooling the HDs.

u got it the wrong way around..
i meant..
by what i've read
and by looking at the convertor n all
does this mobo
have the support
to buy a ide drive
and then convert it to sata drive..using the convertor..??

Gary that is useless to do...a computer is as slow as the slowest part. if you have a ide drive and convert it to sata it will still run as slow as the ide. If you plug a sata drive into a converter to ide it will run at ide speeds. It's like plugging a usb 1.1 device to a 2.0 port it will run at 1.1 speeds and vice versa plugging a 2.0 device into a 1.1 port

now after saying that if you are planning on buying a new mobo with sata support it would be best to buy a sata drive and connect with the converter to ide so you can use it in the new mobo. also almost all mobos coming out are going to have support for ide and sata so you won't be lost if you buy a ide drive

Ahanix black night...great for cooling and cheap...no psu though so take the one out of your antec

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back