Wav to MP3

Peterboy

OSNN Newbie
[FONT=&quot]Is there any software which will convert Wav file into mp3 without any loss of quality, may be freeware or shareware.[/FONT]

Lame MP3 encoder :)

you will loose quality - mp3 is lossy compression.

if you want lossless take a look at FLAC.

FlexiMusic Wave Editor will convert high quality WAV files to MP3 for delivery. The tool lets you tune the size. Have a good quality in sound and let the entertainment software deal with compression.

You're always going to lose some quality with mp3, whether that loss is noticeable is the real issue. If you use a good quality encoder such as Lame, and set the bitrate to 160Kbps, most people won't be able to notice any difference. If you set it to something higher, like 256Kpbs, the mp3 files will be larger in size but even better quality - it's a trade-off between size and quality really.

I use 160Kbps for the few occasions that I need mp3s (I normally use iTunes/aac) and I've never really noticed any drop in quality from the original source.

A good program to use is dbPoweramp - though unless you want to pay for the lame encoder, you should download the Helix encoder from here and use that - it's very quick and still good quality.

Last edited:
Nothing beats EAC and Lame - along with flac (which is great!) but the ultimate lossless that is supported by anything is wav :)

lame --preset standard some.wav some.mp3 - job done - like lord said :)

Lord is right. If you need mp3, stick with LAME presets. -V 4 or -V 5 is good for most people.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back