Watercooling for new qx6700 cpu

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok so yesterday and today i just built the rig....

Kentfield qx6700 quad core
4gb ddr2-800
asus p5w dh deluxe mobo
1 150gb 10,000 rpm raptor drive
2 500gb 7200rpm wd drives
plextor 18x dvd drive
galaxy 1kw psu
coolermaster mystique case
evga 7950gt ko 512mb card
xp pro sp2

am i missing something...

anyway i'm going to be doing a lot of intensive encoding and the program i use cleaner xl actually (i know freaking amazing) uses ALL FOUR, i'll say again... all 4 cores of the cpu. (specifically why i bought the cpu).

but i am getting temps of 90c when they are all at 70% capacity, byt about 55c on idle, true it is a really new build and the arctic silver hasn't fully set, but i am wondering at the validity of water cooling.

does anyone have an idea on this, the system already cost about $3700 so i don't want to add to much to that cost, but i need to make sure the system is cooled and wont crash, as when i go to encode, it does so for about 8 hours straight.

all help appreciated.

Wow! those Quads run that hot? Well if you are looking to get into H20 cooling its gonna cost you from 150 - 300$ Obviously depending on the quality and performance of the parts you buy, I'm not sure how good the stock cooling you have is, but if its running were it should be temp wise you are gonna need a fairly beefy setup to cool that thing down. Looking at the case you have, its gonna be tough to do a clean h20 setup.

Are you confident in doing mods to your case and such? Such as cutting and drilling. Water cooling isn't really all that easy to get into and get setup properly unless you pay for ease of use. (Case with H20 system in mind and the system itself)

Kentfield qx6700 quad core

but i am getting temps of 90c when they are all at 70% capacity, byt about 55c on idle,

true it is a really new build and the arctic silver hasn't fully set, but i am wondering at the validity of water cooling.

Shut it down! Intel design spec's say ~67 deg C at full load.

Arctive silver does not set. That only applies to thermal pads. It is at it's best when new, unless you put too much on, in which case it will make the CPU run hotter.

55 C idle sounds obscene for a Core 2 Duo, even if it is quad and top end clcok speed. The new Intel line runs cooler, not hotter, especially at idle.

I did not see the specific cooler mentioned. Is it (yuk) stock cooler?

I would not be running it until I convinced myself it was not at 90 deg C. That is nasty for a CPU!

The problem may be in the reading not in the actual temp but don't take any chances with that expensive rig. 90 Deg C could damage the MB also.

Things to check:
-Make sure the proper amount of arctic silver was used. More is not better.
-Make sure the heatsink sits flat on the CPU when installing.
-Make sure the fan is blowing at the CPU not out the top.
-Make sure there is nothing pushing against one side of the CPU (cables, MB components, etc) pushing it off flat.
-Make sure some fancy MB noise control function is not running the fan too slow. Plug direct into a PS connector.
-Make sure the fan power connection is supplying full voltage to the fan motor.
-Intel design spec's say 35 deg C max for case internal air temeprature which allows for 5 deg C back heating from the CPU. CHeck the MB temperature is not too high. You should have 2 fans blowing into the case and 1 exhaust (plus the PSU fans) blowing out.

Last edited:
i kinda have to ask you....... what's the point behind getting a Quad-Core CPU at this point in time? nothing right now is really optimized to even use 2 cores... let alone 4, and probably won't be for quite a while yet. by the time games and software are optimized for multiple cores, quad-core CPU's will probably be out in quite a few numbers, and be quite a bit less than a grand.

Plus..... why build a system with a quad core CPU..... and only a GeForce 7950GT? Should have at LEAST went with a 8800GTS if not a GTX.

i kinda have to ask you....... what's the point behind getting a Quad-Core CPU at this point in time? nothing right now is really optimized to even use 2 cores... let alone 4, and probably won't be for quite a while yet. by the time games and software are optimized for multiple cores, quad-core CPU's will probably be out in quite a few numbers, and be quite a bit less than a grand.

Plus..... why build a system with a quad core CPU..... and only a GeForce 7950GT? Should have at LEAST went with a 8800GTS if not a GTX.

There are a LOT of apps that use multicore, its most games and such that dont use them. The Professional market has been using Multi cpu/core for years. I wish I had the money for a Quad Core, 3dsmax would FLY with 4 Core 2 Duos! You are assuming he built it for gaming, which obviously he didn't.

I wouldnt buy the intel.
Im an AMD man :)
Just personal preference.
Plus amd is coming out with the quad core cpus this summer.

the program i bought it for autodesk cleaner xl uses all four cores when encoding. thats why, and its not a gaming rig so i only needed an ok card for hd stuff.

the program i bought it for autodesk cleaner xl uses all four cores when encoding. thats why, and its not a gaming rig so i only needed an ok card for hd stuff.
you kno u suck right? :)
Its u crazy rich people that will be the downfall of humanity!
lol - go fascism!

Shut it down! Intel design spec's say ~67 deg C at full load.

Arctive silver does not set. That only applies to thermal pads. It is at it's best when new, unless you put too much on, in which case it will make the CPU run hotter.

55 C idle sounds obscene for a Core 2 Duo, even if it is quad and top end clcok speed. The new Intel line runs cooler, not hotter, especially at idle.

I did not see the specific cooler mentioned. Is it (yuk) stock cooler?

I would not be running it until I convinced myself it was not at 90 deg C. That is nasty for a CPU!

The problem may be in the reading not in the actual temp but don't take any chances with that expensive rig. 90 Deg C could damage the MB also.

Things to check:
-Make sure the proper amount of arctic silver was used. More is not better.
-Make sure the heatsink sits flat on the CPU when installing.
-Make sure the fan is blowing at the CPU not out the top.
-Make sure there is nothing pushing against one side of the CPU (cables, MB components, etc) pushing it off flat.
-Make sure some fancy MB noise control function is not running the fan too slow. Plug direct into a PS connector.
-Make sure the fan power connection is supplying full voltage to the fan motor.
-Intel design spec's say 35 deg C max for case internal air temeprature which allows for 5 deg C back heating from the CPU. CHeck the MB temperature is not too high. You should have 2 fans blowing into the case and 1 exhaust (plus the PSU fans) blowing out.

well you see this is where the confusion lies, because it is an asus board and i have this asus stats program that shows the fan speeds and temps on the board and cpu, that says that my cpu at idle is 35c and at load 65c at most, thats all four cores going at once.

but i downloaded this other app called "core temp beta 0.94" and that says my temps are on average 20c higher than the asus program.... which should i believe?

Also artic silver does set, not in the traditional sense, but it takes time for the silver to fully optimise with the heat spreader and heatsink, that should take 8 days..... its been 1 day so far.

i also specifically followed the application instructions for the artic silver, by applying a thin strip on theh heat spreader on the cpu. and everything else is correct.

the fan is getting the power it needs as it was running at 4500rpm, when the cpu was on load.

unfortunalty i am having to use the stock cooler as the case i have does not have the holes on the backplate to accomadate the zalman cooler connector. so that sucks. i may drill the holes myself though. we'll see, it depends on it i get a water system.

no i got it for $999 on newegg, it went down $500 in two weeks. good thing i waited.

the speed at which this encodes is crazy, it previously took my 1 1/2 hours to encode a h264 movie on my 940d cpu, on this think it takes 10 minutes, yeap its that fast and that worth it.

Found this picture on Cooler Master's site. It's from the 631's product description.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/ProductImages/1222_18.jpg

Lancer,

You said the case doesn't have holes for the Zalman cooler connector.... I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I have two Cooler Master cases - a Stacker 810 and a Centurion 5 - and Zalman CPU coolers in both. I didn't have any problems mounting the coolers in either of those cases.

ermmm, ok the backplate where you connect the motherboard inside the case doesn't have the holes in the correct location for the backplate of the zalman cooler to connect to, let me try and find a pic to explain better.

ok here are the pics, this is the case i have the mystique 632, and then there are two pictures explaining what i mean.

Attachments

• 632.jpg
    632.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 149
  • case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 624
  • zalman.jpg
    zalman.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 145
Well after all that work convincing you all that the zalman wouldn't fit, i figured out a way to make it work, so now its installed with a load temp of 75c (or 51c) if you believe the asus probe program. vs the 90c i was getting with the stock intel cooler, pretty cool

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back