Water Cooling

almost $270 they say... yikes! and not out for a few weeks.

but if you're willing to spend the money and installing your own water cooling kit doesn't sound like a good idea to you, that koolance thing is an awesome idea. it'll do the job, i'm sure. i'll wait til someone else comes out with something similar so prices will drop.. then i'll think about it.

Didn't have time to read the whole article but yikes computers + water???? :eek:

Scarey idea. Is condensation a problem within the box after or during operation?

Mub's (adding that page to fav's)

Horrible thought - it might be possible to catch Legionaires disease from your computer!!!

water cooling is no new concept. water only conducts electricity if there's contaminants in it... if you use distilled water, the chances of breaking something aren't very good. and condensation isn't an issue unless you refridgerate the water so it's way below room temperature.

Would I be right in thinking that it's main use is where ambient room temperatures are higher, than in say, Northern Scotland?

Or is this somthing that's going to feature on newer generations of computer as standard?

Mubbers

looks good to me...although you'd still have to buy waterblocks...and such...adding on to that inital cost.....

Is there a possibility that if this isn't done right the first time that you could actually hurt your hardware? I don't know anything about watercooling so bare with me...

Posted by Mubbers
Would I be right in thinking that it's main use is where ambient room temperatures are higher, than in say, Northern Scotland?

Or is this somthing that's going to feature on newer generations of computer as standard?

Mubbers

highly doubt watercooling will ever become standard

Posted by Funky Dredd
Is there a possibility that if this isn't done right the first time that you could actually hurt your hardware? I don't know anything about watercooling so bare with me...

YES

I am not sure if I would throw that kind of money down the drain. Although if I did have that kind of money to waste I would possibly try it just have done it. It looks pretty neat.

Posted by taurus
water cooling is no new concept. water only conducts electricity if there's contaminants in it... if you use distilled water, the chances of breaking something aren't very good.
The water touching the dust particles in your computer (on the boards and case) is enough contamination I'm afraid. If it leaks, it fries. But you're right, it's been around for a while. Nowadays the water cooling systems are easy to stop from leaking.

well, after you set up your water cooling system, you run it with the computer off for a few hours, days, however long to make you comfortable that it won't leak. and like zedric said, most these kits nowadays are top-notch and leaks are practically nonexistant.

at some point, unless processor manufacturing takes a drastic turn and temps are cut, watercooling will most likely become standard in the next couple years. people buy their high-performance dell's and complain about noise now.

My experience w/ pipes and pumping (believe me where I work I've lots!):

Doesn't matter what anyone says or how much it costs, anything that pumps water will leak sooner or later.

oh, and bastid... that kits comes with a waterblock and tubing... everything you need to get it up and runing.

Posted by taurus

at some point, unless processor manufacturing takes a drastic turn and temps are cut, watercooling will most likely become standard in the next couple years. people buy their high-performance dell's and complain about noise now.

it will be interseting to see how they comeup with an easy maintenance solution for the everyday user who has no idea about watercooling

oohh [CpK]Bastid now has 666 posts!!!

Scarey or what :eek:

Posted by taurus
oh, and bastid... that kits comes with a waterblock and tubing... everything you need to get it up and runing.

even better...:)

although the koolance website does state waterblocks are purchased separately.......havent checked around but from frozencpu the cpu block is separate as well.....

oh well if u can get it all in one even better for the beginner watercooler......i might even look into getting one:)

" My experience w/ pipes and pumping (believe me where I work I've lots!):

Doesn't matter what anyone says or how much it costs, anything that pumps water will leak sooner or later. "

lol! Well, Good Point there Mub's.

As for noise; I have 8 case cans. Spinning at max. And it makes me floor vibrate. But heck; get's the cooling done :) and I don't mind it. Sounds like a race car revving on boot up; I likes it.

water is not new, it is used with HFE on servers, but not alot of people can afford HFE at 250 a gallon. however if i were going to make a system were money was not an issue, i would get HFE for the tubing and make the seal air tight. that way i would not ever have to replace it, and if it leaks it does not hurt any electrical components. i like, i like, now just money...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back