Watching movies on TV from lap top.

• Thread starter Powerchordpunk
  • Start date
P

Powerchordpunk

How how are you supposed to watch movies played from your laptop on your tv? If you have ever done this, how have you done it, and how do you listen to the sound. It would kinda suck to have your surround sound rearing to go and have to listen to a movie on your laptop stereo speakers. thanks. I wanted to know about sound because my laptops sound output is mixed both left and right. is there a splitter for this? thanks.

First, you need to make sure you have a video card with a tv output. Usually, this would be a s-video out. So once you get the s-video cable, you'd connect one end to your laptop, the other to the tv. If your tv only has the rca inputs (the 2 or 3 color inputs, red, yellow, white), then you need a s-video to rca converter, and then get the rca video cable.

For sound, just get a 1/8th to rca, and attach the 1/8th end to your soundcard, and the rca end to the remaining inputs (red and white, or just red).

ok sound is fine, but the laptop is company owned, and I can't change the video card unless I change jobs. What about a converter for the VGA port? can I do that? thanks

Most laptops have a composite video oit too.. (the yellow one)

mine doesn't. the only yellow port is for power supply.

to watch movies on your laptop ON your tv... simply do the following...

and this works for ALL laptops and tv's regardless of the blue/yellow/pink/green or whatever ports...

1. simply play a movie in a movie player on your laptop...

2. simply take the laptop in your hands...

3. simply place said laptop ON TOP OF TV...

and there you go... now you can watch movies from your laptop ON YOUR TV... simple 3 step program :D

honestly speaking though... no out ports for video (i.e. the aforementioned s-video output) equals no output of movies to any devices... if you do have a NIC or something like it... that would help... but would make no sense since the networked client would be able to play movies... what would you need the laptop for :)

good luck finding a solution mate...

the above was just in fun :D

There are cheaper and much better scan converters out there. I can't think of any good sites right now (I'm on a friends box) but try doing a search for a company called Extron. They make the best scan converters.

with just a vga out, you won't be able to connect to the tv.

see my last post. It's all about a scan converter. A good one is better than any tv out card anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back