Warnings about IE a big deal?

Fenris

OSNN Senior Addict
With all the warnings about loop holes in IE that aren’t being fixed should I worry about using IE still? Is it time to switch to one of the other web browsers if so what should I choose? Mozilla seems to be the second big one these days. I never really liked Netscape although I haven’t used it in probably 6 years maybe they have made some changes that I might like. If I do change should I totally delete IE from my computer or should I keep it around for the few pages that my new browser won’t support?

Netscape is pretty much long dead, Mozilla is an Open Source spin off of Netscape which has really done some incredible things

Try a few alternative browsers and see which one you like the most. My personal recommendation would undoubtedly be Firefox, simply because of it's tremendous extensibility, the security, and, of course, it's standards-compliant Gecko rendering engine.
http://getfirefox.com

Moreover, IE cannot be completely removed from Windows because it is tightly integrated into the OS itself. Even if it were possible, I'd recommend against it since you will still need it for some poorly coded sites that use proprietary code, and sites that use ActiveX controls like Windows Update.

The latest IE exploits do not have a fix. I fix up a lot of spyware problems and can say that IE is the reason for 90% of it, the other 10% is usually caused by the installation of a program that has spyware piggybacked. Basically, you shouldn't use IE ever, except for windows update.

If you use credit cards on line, or manage your stocks or do bill-pay don't use IE. The latest exploit had people getting infested with keystroke loggers off of financial sites. Granted part of the problem is with the crappy management of the Web Servers but the holes in i.e. are making it easy to steal your money and Iidentity.

I tried out a couple of the alternative browsers and ended up with Mozilla. Mainly because I could make it look the most like IE (wife support is easier) and it does the job fine.

I do find it ironic that the only thing I use IE for, is to get Windows Updates, which are mostly patches for IE. I really wish M$ would fix the internet, they broke it.

easiest way for them to fix the internet is to
rm -r /usr/devel/windows/components/msie/

that is if they are being sensible and using a unix/linux server to store all of their source code :p

j79zlr said:
I really wish M$ would fix the internet, they broke it.
I've put the request in to my friends at microsoft...I'm told they will honor this request and fix the internet.

we all need to log off for about a month so they can do it...I'll see everybody in about four weeks...just don't everybody log in at the same time, cuase that might cause an overload...I'm gonna wait 4 weeks and two days to releive the spike

see you guys then

which gives me a great idea!!

I'm going to start a competing world wide network!!!!!

all my addresses will start with "wwn" (world wide network) instead of www

in addition, spaces will be allowed as part of an address...no dots allowed just to be differant...only spaces allowed.

so my web page address would be;

wwn perris

we won't need a dot com or dot net or anything, since my network is sophisticated enough to figure out that the rest is assumed

come to think of it, no reason why "wwn" wouldn't be assumed also

therefore, my website would be;

" perris " without the quote of course. (those two "r's" still look like one "n to me...I hate that)

(I could never figure out why the internet can't assume www instead of needing to see it)

world wide web and world wide network are not compatible, and a person couldn't transfer pages from one the web to my network without emulation software.

please send me dollars to get this off the ground

thanx in advance

Great, if I jump into this 'wwn' bandwagon technology now, my stocks and shares will be worth millions in the future! ;)

Edit: Forgot about the topic; for browser, I recommend Firefox wholeheartedly, although you might want to give Opera a try too if its too simplistic. I've kept IE as standby, since some sites don't seem to display properly with Firefox at times.

Alright thanks for all the replies ill try out firefox hopefully ill like it.

Actually, the whole "WWW" thing was some goof balls idea. The fact is that it isn't needed or required. I would like to also have about 1.5 million shares of the WWN thing. Hey, if I get the stock for free and it raises to $10, I'd have 15 million overnight. I would love for it to raise to $200, then I would cash in and disappear.

Fenris said:
Alright thanks for all the replies ill try out firefox hopefully ill like it.
If you need help, feel free to browse through the existing pinned Firefox support threads in the Applications section. If you have any questions, ask away, and we'll be glad to help.
smile.gif

Reg said:
Actually, the whole "WWW" thing was some goof balls idea. The fact is that it isn't needed or required. I would like to also have about 1.5 million shares of the WWN thing. Hey, if I get the stock for free and it raises to $10, I'd have 15 million overnight. I would love for it to raise to $200, then I would cash in and disappear.
I'm going to get a paypal thing going...I will give every member of osnn a few shares for free...I will give those that support the wwn project with dollars, points accordingly...let's get started

ps

how come nobody logged off the internet yet?,,,how are my buddies at microsoft supposed to fix the internet if it's still on?

perris said:
how come nobody logged off the internet yet?,,,how are my buddies at microsoft supposed to fix the internet if it's still on?
They'll figure it out...it'll take a few years, but it'll happen.
tongue.gif

Fenris said:
With all the warnings about loop holes in IE that aren’t being fixed should I worry about using IE still? Is it time to switch to one of the other web browsers if so what should I choose? Mozilla seems to be the second big one these days. I never really liked Netscape although I haven’t used it in probably 6 years maybe they have made some changes that I might like. If I do change should I totally delete IE from my computer or should I keep it around for the few pages that my new browser won’t support?

not really.. there are vulnerabilities in most any software... m$'s products are used the most and therefore make the most enticing target...

IE has vulnerabilities but as long as you get the patches you should be fne... I continue to use IE coz its fast (I don't notice a speed difference with mozilla or firefox or opera on my system) and I am very used to teh shortcuts...

besides that my keyboard is perfectly synched with it as well and that certainly helps :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back