Warbirds and Radeon 9700 Pro

T

TheDcn

Received a Radeon 9700 pro for Christmas and am having fun trying to get it to work in WarBirds.
here's my system.
AMD XP 1900
518 ms RAM
Windows XP Pro
Direct x 9.0
The card sems to work OK until I try to log into the intro screen. It locks up, and I have to re-boot to clear things out.
Any help weill really be appreciated.

Regards

thedcn
timber@warbirds.org

Originally posted by TheDcn
Received a Radeon 9700 pro for Christmas and am having fun trying to get it to work in WarBirds.
here's my system.
AMD XP 1900
518 ms RAM
Windows XP Pro
Direct x 9.0
The card sems to work OK until I try to log into the intro screen. It locks up, and I have to re-boot to clear things out.
Any help weill really be appreciated.

Regards

thedcn
timber@warbirds.org

some more info required...

what catalyst drivers are you using... did you do a clean install of your os after getting the video card... power supply wattage... motherboard info...

I'll add to the list as I think of it

Hi Sazar, The driver I used was in the CD and configured for windows XP. Version 082002e. That did not work so I downloaded w3xp-w2k-r9700 7-81-021213 from ATI. That did not work. When I say they did not work I mean in Warbirds, The card appears to run fine with XP.

I'm running a VIA Technologies built ATX K7VTA3 motherboard.
350 watt power supply

I did not reinstall the windows XP OS after installing my card.
I did reinstall Warbirdsiii though.
I can go into the older version of warbirds - 2.77 - and fly around for about 2 minutes before the programs framerate drops to nothing the locks up.
The system locks up when I attempt to go into WBiii.

I can run both versions of warbirds just fine with the Matrox GEforce 2 mmx400 video card.

Thanks again for responding.

i have a feeling ur video card needs more power then ur power supply can actually put out..
gforce 2 mx 400 definantly uses less power then the 9700 so im thinking its ur power supply...
u could try other drivers but that hasn't seemed to work for you so far.

Hi Sazar, The driver I used was in the CD and configured for windows XP. Version 082002e. That did not work so I downloaded w3xp-w2k-r9700 7-81-021213 from ATI. That did not work. When I say they did not work I mean in Warbirds, The card appears to run fine with XP.

I'm running a VIA Technologies built ATX K7VTA3 motherboard.
350 watt power supply

I did not reinstall the windows XP OS after installing my card.
I did reinstall Warbirdsiii though.
I can go into the older version of warbirds - 2.77 - and fly around for about 2 minutes before the programs framerate drops to nothing the locks up.
The system locks up when I attempt to go into WBiii.

I can run both versions of warbirds just fine with the Matrox GEforce 2 mmx400 video card.

Thanks again for responding.

all right the cat 3.0 drivers are ones you should be usin with dx9 though a lot of people find catalyst 2.5's to be much more stable... both can be dled off of ati's website...

also if you have installed the card and not done a clean install of your os (always recommended to format the hard drive and reinstall pertinent software after an upgrade of major hardware) that will help...

install the cat 2.5's and run it with dx 8.1... thats the most stable setup @ the moment.. dx9 and cat 3.0 does not work well for everyone...

your power supply unit should be fine since it is over teh 300w recommended by ATi for their card...

try and allocate a single power connector for your card instead of doing a little christmas light stringing job :)

keep us posted on your progress...

I have an almost identical setup in terms of major hardware and my card runs flawlessly... there's probably a singular problem in your setup...

Curiosity got the best of me so I opened the case and looked at my power supply, just to make sure it was a 350 watt; it's a 300 watt. A 450 watt power supply is now installed. Downloaded dx9.0 again and installed. loaded Cat 3.0 again. Interesting things started to happen. System appears to be running smoother, Warbirds 2.77 frame rate is running a smooth 75.5 or so - up from 35 with the GEforce2mmx 400, and it did not lock up. Made the dive into WBIII and it still locks up.
Sazar I to am convinced it's a minor configruation problem between the game and my driver configruation for it :). Will keep messing around with it.

let us know wha the problem was once u get it fixed jus for future reference..

Curiosity got the best of me so I opened the case and looked at my power supply, just to make sure it was a 350 watt; it's a 300 watt. A 450 watt power supply is now installed. Downloaded dx9.0 again and installed. loaded Cat 3.0 again. Interesting things started to happen. System appears to be running smoother, Warbirds 2.77 frame rate is running a smooth 75.5 or so - up from 35 with the GEforce2mmx 400, and it did not lock up. Made the dive into WBIII and it still locks up.
Sazar I to am convinced it's a minor configruation problem between the game and my driver configruation for it :). Will keep messing around with it.

no game patches? on the game website?

inform ati of the problem if you can... :)

if a problem with card drivers they will probably incl a fix :)

Originally posted by Sazar
no game patches? on the game website?
Ien is not inclined, at the moment, to do much with Warbirds, they have gone to ground wars. We all hope, the 1000's of us worldwide, that Ien will bring WBIII up to par. It's a very great sim but when they introduced WBIII they didn't quite get to the finish line.

I did drop a note to ATI.

It's so close to working. Guys online using the 9000 card said it's as smooth as silk:). I still can't help but think I need to just tweak something in the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back