WAP/Wireless Routers

Petros

Thief IV
I just moved into an apartment with only one cable connection which is in the living room. Running 50 feet of cable to the computer room is not going to be an option, but the two computers that need to be hooked up can have cabling between them since they're in the same room.

I would like to know what the best (and preferably cheapest) way to go to go wireless. I've never used wireless routers/bridges/WAPs/repeaters--pardon my ignorance :nervous:

Would it be feasible to run a wireless router up by the cable outlet and then put a wireless switch in my room functioning as a slave? Then my computers could plug into it via wires, right?

Not sure that would be your best option. I would recommend getting a Linksys WRT54G and just putting wifi cards in each of the desktops.

Petros said:
Would it be feasible to run a wireless router up by the cable outlet and then put a wireless switch in my room functioning as a slave? Then my computers could plug into it via wires, right?

For this setup you need a wireless router and a wireless bridge to convert the wireless to wired. There are routers which this bridge feature but I don't know of any.

The other, and maybe easier one is to do what KC suggested and buy wifi cards for each computer. However if you plan to transfer large files then I would recommend the bridge approach.

Seems to me you're complicating the matter.

Just get a cheapo linksys wireless router (I use a wrt54g) and hook it up to the cable modem and broadcast to the three machines via wireless. You will need to have a wireless card in each desktop.

You can also easily hook up a machine to one of the back cat5 ports and have it wired if it's next to the router.

Then, I would switch the identifier from linksys to something else and setup WPA encryption. It's actually a very simple process. =)

Not entirely, while the bridge may sound confusing, in the long run it is the best solution. With a bridge there is NO wireless setup on the clients, they think it's a wired connection.

So with this in mind, theres no need for drivers, wifi config and such. Now if someone has to format theres no configuration required. Add a switch and connect even more computers.

Now also theres the matter of file transfers, if a I were to constantly transfer large files from PC to PC and I use wifi it would take ages. With the bridge, the switch would handle the transfer that so the transfers would be faster then any wifi available.

Petros said:
... Running 50 feet of cable to the computer room is not going to be an option...

I'll take it as a given, but think about looking again at what you said. Me and Lord do it all the time and I think it is the WTG personally...

Can post picks of how we route cables if you need help in that respect :p

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics, maybe handy later if I need to do some routing.

If using a cat5 isnt an option the I think the bridge is the best way to go.

Admiral Michael said:
Not entirely, while the bridge may sound confusing, in the long run it is the best solution. With a bridge there is NO wireless setup on the clients, they think it's a wired connection.

So with this in mind, theres no need for drivers, wifi config and such. Now if someone has to format theres no configuration required. Add a switch and connect even more computers.

Now also theres the matter of file transfers, if a I were to constantly transfer large files from PC to PC and I use wifi it would take ages. With the bridge, the switch would handle the transfer that so the transfers would be faster then any wifi available.
This might be because I'm narrowminded but I've never bought into the ethernet-to-wireless bridges for home use.

In my scenario, he has to buy a wireless nic card for each desktop. In your scenario he has to buy a bridge for each desktop.

In my scenario there is an access point people can access if they come over, same as in your scenario.

In my scenario you can add a wireless notebook to his list of computers, same as yours.

In my scenario a wireless nic costs around $30, in your scenario a bridge runs around $60 and up (twice as much).

I just don't get the practical advantage side of the argument either. So you don't have to setup the WPA configuration on each desktop. True. But that takes what, 5 mins. I have 4 computers here, I'll take 20 mins out of the day every 6 months to re-setup the wireless configuration if it's going to save me $120.

I'm not trying to be pushy I;m just trying to understand the benefits of a bridge for home use.

Well you buy one bridge as opposed to two NICs but the cost still could be more. Thats one good point you have.

However you need to ask yourself "Am I going to be transferring large files between computers?" If so then a bridge may be the way to go.

As in Petro's scenario both computers are in the same room so this is how my suggestion would work (see attachment). Now if they were in different locations then I would suggest a NIC in each computer.

Attachments

• BridgeSetup.jpg
    BridgeSetup.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 77
If you're transferring anything large over the network consistently you'll do much better just dealing with the wires. One thing I like about newer homes is they are now coming equipped with cat5 wiring in all rooms which is a definite plus. =)

I'm sorry, I didn't read that both pc's were in the same room. A bridge would be better in this case then for simplicity.

mfarley said:
If you're transferring anything large over the network consistently you'll do much better just dealing with the wires.

I agree but in this situation they don't want to run wires so this solution should fit nicely.

mfarley said:
One thing I like about newer homes is they are now coming equipped with cat5 wiring in all rooms which is a definite plus. =)

Yes, they are finally gettign smart. We had to install our own cat5 which is fine since my dad is an electrician.

mfarley said:
I'm sorry, I didn't read that both pc's were in the same room.

No problem, just make sure it doesn't happen again!

Joking! :p

Admiral Michael said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics, maybe handy later if I need to do some routing...

Ahem - I have no idea how handy they will be - they say a lot about a certain laziness or need for speed.... but the offer was half intended to raise a laugh and at least we are one up on the trailing trip method or the gaffer/DUCT tape and screw the wallpaper/paint thing.... Judge for yourselves.... someday I'll get around to some tidying up here - but I am aiming to get that server on a shelf and maybe that'll be my motivator....

routing1.jpg

detail for those tricky "corner bits" lol
routing2.jpg

Oh and yeah... it does mean we cannot close the door to our living room because the door actually hinges on the side we needed to route through, but we can live with that.

You should hand Christmas lights from that stuff during the Holidays :p

MFG and Lord--- two words cable clamps, your can get a nice tight wiring fit and it gets rid of the need to jimmy rig a corner. Of course you guys will need a hammer...

Mainframeguy said:
Ahem - I have no idea how handy they will be - they say a lot about a certain laziness or need for speed.... but the offer was half intended to raise a laugh and at least we are one up on the trailing trip method or the gaffer/DUCT tape and screw the wallpaper/paint thing.... Judge for yourselves.... someday I'll get around to some tidying up here - but I am aiming to get that server on a shelf and maybe that'll be my motivator....

routing1.jpg

detail for those tricky "corner bits" lol
routing2.jpg

Oh and yeah... it does mean we cannot close the door to our living room because the door actually hinges on the side we needed to route through, but we can live with that.

That is just scary. The least you could have done was use white cat5 cables to match the walls! ;)

Has to be bachelors! As no woman would put up with that:D

falconguard said:
Has to be bachelors! As no woman would put up with that:D

I was thinking the same thing, it a woman lived there we wouldn't be seeing that.

I found the solution to my problem. I went the wired route and I'm using a combination of intelligently-used floorboards, couches, a TV stand, and a couple of rugs I bought at Wal Mart. Between all those, the cable is hidden in a way my wife approves of.

Yes, those pics of the wires probably would have been what I had done before marriage ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back