• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Want to upgrade ... but when?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
#1
Title says it all, I can't upgrade my current system anymore. Well I could but the minor performance grade (going from 3.4 ghz to 3.8) isn't worth it. So the question is how long do I need to wait. I want to build something that can be upgraded for some time. In other words I need it to be dual core ready with a possibility of going quad in the future. I had heard AMD was working on a board that could do both but I have no idea when its going to be ready. I don't know if Intel is doing the same thing. Any thoughts or recommendations?

**EDIT**

Title should be WANT not what. I'm an idiot
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#2
I was going to edit the title to "WANT not what. I'm an idiot* but I let it slide ;)

K8L is in the works, core 2 is here now with dual and quad on the same board.

If you upgrade now, core2 is the way to go.
 

ming

OSNN Advanced
#3
I'd say wait til spring 2007 or later if possible. Let the Quad core cpus become readily available and see the reviews on them before splashing out on a new system. Prices will probably drop quite a bit on the older dual core models. ;)
 

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
#4
Cool, thanks for the advice. I just want to be able to play Double Agent & Neverwinter Nights 2 and apparently you need a beefy system. My vid card is AGP so I can't support it. I was sad!
 
#5
Sadly I have to agree with Sazar. If you're upgrading now go Intel - with Duron, single, dual and quad cores on the way and compatible with one MB socket you can't loose. Performance/heat number is better too.

AMD on the other hand is so socket changeover happy they no longer show an upgrade path. AMD has a new socket next year (again) and are doing dual sockets on 1 MB to get quad core. They've lost it again.
 
Last edited:

chastity

Moderator
Staff member
Political User
#6
I would go with Intel, Core2Dual or if you have the money you can go with the quad core Intel chip. PCIx maybe SLi.

Though I would late at least until after Thanksgiving since most likely start running some good deals
 

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
#7
do it now - I am itching to make the jump myself - both to move along from AGP and to go DUO and just because my old case sucks.....

All that is holding me back is that I have to move house first! Oh yeah and then it will be Christmas... but come January I'm there! Oh except that I'll be poor then - well as soon as I have money next year I'll be there!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,014
Latest member
sanoravies