Want to run a Linux based machine, but which distro?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
OK, just for fun, I want to install Linux on my machine (on a separate harddisk while the Windows harddisk has been taken out, just to be sure). If I want a easy to understand distro, where both terminal and GUI configuration is easy, for webserving (Apache and PHP), database (MySQL) and a GUI (for webbrowsing if I need help), is Slackware a good choice? So far I only got experience with RedHat and Mandrake, but I gave up on it, because it was to difficult for me at the time.
I don't want to use the distro as a desktop replacement (yet), but as long as configuring is easy etc. and with a clear structure (not that the config files are all located on different places) and with the points I said above, I am happy.
Oh, and I rather not want to use FreeBSD, I have tried installing both 4.8 and 4.9, but both failed, because for some reason my monitor said the video was out of range when I booted up in the GUI.

If you say I can google for help, you're right, but I trust your guys, and I know that some guys/girls have good experiences with Linux.

Specs (if you need any):
MSI-6309 with a Via chipset
PentiumIII 800 Mhz
256 MB
20 GB
LAN internet connected through a router
Samsung 151s 15" TFT monitor @ 1024x768 @ 72 Hz

Hm, when I tried Mandrake, I found it quite good. But I have heard some very good things about slackware, so if there are some good recommendations for that, I will try it. Other recommendations may also be given of course :)

Slackware config is mostly done through text files, and you won't get much GUI configuration. Unless I was to use Dropline Gnome on Slack, I'd go with Mandrake or Fedora. Debian could also be a choice. I'm on a Debian box right now. Once you get used to apt-get and the ghastly install process, it'll be a breeze running your box. apt-get is very very powerful.

debian's installation is ghastly alright.. drove me nuts once lol... :p

Hmm, looks like it's going to be Mandrake after all. I am now downloading Mandrake 9.2, I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Anyone have any opinions of Java Desktop Environment? I just got a free copy of it (legal).

I've had my share of SunOS and JDE. Never cared for either GUI interfaces. The backend (shell) is pretty good.

whats SunOS and JDE?

EDIT : does SunOS happen to have anything to do with Solaris? :confused:

SunOS is what they call Solaris now.

JDE = Java Desktop Environment.

okay.. so JDE is??? actually, i tink it is a java-based desktop right? but wouldn't that be extraordinarily slow? i mean the java runtimes on windows is really sluggish..

Not really. JRE's are slow in Windows because it has to:

1. Launch the JRE virtual machine program (like running an OS in an OS)

Then

2. Launch the App

Since the OS is Java, you don't have to worry about the A part so it essentially will run just like any other OS.

Example:

Windows runs great on the PC hardware
Mac OS X runs great on the PowerPC hardware

Yet, when you run Windows on a Mac using VirtualPC, windows runs slower than a snail! Why? Because PC hardware has to be emulated, memory has to be allocated, and processing power has to be shared. The same would be true if you could run Mac OS X virtually on a PC.

isn't that new "java desktop" just linux running like kde modified w/ java apps?

* Edit * - got off topic of the post :p ... I vote slackware ... if you wanna run X make sure you config it correctly before starting up your gui and you shouldn't get those nasty error msg's.

*Edit #2 * - my bad based off gnome not kde :/ ...
The software consists of a fully integrated client environment based on open source and standards including a GNOME desktop environment, StarOffice productivity suite, Mozilla browser, Evolution e-mail and calendar client, Java 2 Standard Edition, and a Linux operating system.
taken from suns own site here

But Windows and Mac programs are compiled to machine code while the Java I know is compiled into byte code which has to be interpreted by the JVM. Unless the OS only runs applications code compiled to a language the machine can understand without the need for a JVM, it'll always be slower.

X-Istence said:
FreeBSD, forget Linux.

Haha, that's funny, considering the first post clearly indicated:
Glaanieboy said:
Oh, and I rather not want to use FreeBSD, I have tried installing both 4.8 and 4.9, but both failed, because for some reason my monitor said the video was out of range when I booted up in the GUI.

but it sounds like it only "failed" because he need to tweak X some.

That's quite possible, but from what I understood of the original post, he wanted something that would work without much tweaking.

NetRyder said:
That's quite possible, but from what I understood of the original post, he wanted something that would work without much tweaking.
He's done RH and Mandrake ... not sure he's gonna find a distro thats gonna be more GUI/server friendly "out of box" then them. :/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back