Want to run a Linux based machine, but which distro?

Believe it or not...I had more problems with Redhat than I did with Slackware. :p
Mainly hardware compatibility issues. But that was a few years ago. They should have been fixed in Redhat too by now.

it has improved... but its rather unstable for a linux OS :( i tink mandrake would be better for "out of the box", quote Xie :cool:

I agree with you. Given a choice between Redhat and Mandrake only, I'd go for the latter.

NetRyder said:
I agree with you. Given a choice between Redhat and Mandrake only, I'd go for the latter.

Funny, I'd go with neither :p

Glaanie, you just need to fix [most likely] the hor. and vert. refresh rates in XF86Config on BSD, don't give up, BSD is the best.

j79zlr said:
Funny, I'd go with neither :p

Glaanie, you just need to fix [most likely] the hor. and vert. refresh rates in XF86Config on BSD, don't give up, BSD is the best.
So I've noticed :) The problems I had last time when I installed BSD, was because the installation asked me how to configure the XFree86 modules. I chose visual mode, thinking that would be the simplest. It was not, because the default values where out of sync with my monitor. I neer got it to work again, so I formatted and used it as a secundairy disk in Windows XP.
Now that I have actually read what the installation says (rather than pressing ok blindly), I now chose for the ncurses mode in the X configuring, so I could continue the installation :)
And thanks to the great howto j79zlr provided I also upgraded all packages and my kernel to the latest versions :) I think I'll stick with FreeBSD for a while.

Oh wait, I have one other problem:
I have installed the latest GL compatible nVidia drivers, but when loading the nvidia driver, I get this error when starting X:
Chipset "GeForce2 MX 100/200" in Device section "Card0" isn't valid for this driver.
WHY!?! GF2 MX 200 (what I have) is supported, according to the device compatibility list in the readme. When I load the "nv" driver, instead of the "nvidia" (faulty) driver, everything works as normal. The only lines in XF86Config I have changed are the driver from "nv" to "nvidia", removed the "load "dri"" line and added "Load "glx"" line in the modules section. I haven't visited yet the nVidia helper page and I haven't quite read the FAQ, but maybe someone knows the answer.

try commenting out the chipset line, probably not necessary.

I agreee with NetRyder stick with freebsd. It sounds to me that xf86config is not setup correctly. get 5.2 install the disto get gnome from a port install, then config your xf86config. and you will be golden. Fedora is nice but its too fluffy, and for mandrake dont even waste your time with that garbage. :eek:

j79zlr said:
try commenting out the chipset line, probably not necessary.

That worked! Thanks ;) Now I can finally see those GL screensavers :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back