Want another program to run when I type notepad

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Right now I want something else to run when I type in notepad. I have a program called Notepad2, open source software that's a major improvement over the current notepad. However, when I type in notepad in the run box, it opens up notepad... and when I type notepad2 in the run box, it doesn't open anything.

I've tried copying the notepad2 file over into the C:\Windows\System32 folder and tried running it that way. Nothing. I've tried renaming notepad.exe to notepad.exe.bak, and renaming notepad2.exe to notepad.exe, and tried running that... but after typing in notepad, Windows still opened up the old school notepad.

How can I make it so that I type notepad and it will automatically run Notepad 2?

Thanks!

ok
basically notepad.exe is in a folder windows recognises as erm global if you will...

Go to System Properties, Advanced, Environmental Variables and add the following to the path variable:

;C:\<Path to program>\

search the registry for notepad.exe when you come to the apppaths section changed the path in the entry to whatever you want to load and voila.

I use Notepad2 as well.
Just place it in C:\WINDOWS, along with the regular notepad.exe. You should then be able to get to it using Start>Run>notepad2

Electronic Punk said:
ok
basically notepad.exe is in a folder windows recognises as erm global if you will...

Go to System Properties, Advanced, Environmental Variables and add the following to the path variable:

;C:\<Path to program>\

Punk, I added it to both places in that Environmental places ... place, and it doesn't work.

LordOfLA said:
search the registry for notepad.exe when you come to the apppaths section changed the path in the entry to whatever you want to load and voila.

I've been searching for it for awhile, I haven't found anything that comes up with apppaths... do you happen to know the exact location of it?

NetRyder said:
I use Notepad2 as well.
Just place it in C:\WINDOWS, along with the regular notepad.exe. You should then be able to get to it using Start>Run>notepad2

I will try that when I get home from work later today...

Mr. K said:
Here's how to replace notepad.exe without Windows restoring it to the original.

Same for that...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back