• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Want another program to run when I type notepad

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
#1
Hey guys,

Right now I want something else to run when I type in notepad. I have a program called Notepad2, open source software that's a major improvement over the current notepad. However, when I type in notepad in the run box, it opens up notepad... and when I type notepad2 in the run box, it doesn't open anything.

I've tried copying the notepad2 file over into the C:\Windows\System32 folder and tried running it that way. Nothing. I've tried renaming notepad.exe to notepad.exe.bak, and renaming notepad2.exe to notepad.exe, and tried running that... but after typing in notepad, Windows still opened up the old school notepad.

How can I make it so that I type notepad and it will automatically run Notepad 2?

Thanks!
 

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
#2
ok
basically notepad.exe is in a folder windows recognises as erm global if you will...

Go to System Properties, Advanced, Environmental Variables and add the following to the path variable:

;C:\<Path to program>\
 
#3
search the registry for notepad.exe when you come to the apppaths section changed the path in the entry to whatever you want to load and voila.
 
#4
I use Notepad2 as well.
Just place it in C:\WINDOWS, along with the regular notepad.exe. You should then be able to get to it using Start>Run>notepad2
 

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
#6
Electronic Punk said:
ok
basically notepad.exe is in a folder windows recognises as erm global if you will...

Go to System Properties, Advanced, Environmental Variables and add the following to the path variable:

;C:\<Path to program>\
Punk, I added it to both places in that Environmental places ... place, and it doesn't work.

LordOfLA said:
search the registry for notepad.exe when you come to the apppaths section changed the path in the entry to whatever you want to load and voila.
I've been searching for it for awhile, I haven't found anything that comes up with apppaths... do you happen to know the exact location of it?

NetRyder said:
I use Notepad2 as well.
Just place it in C:\WINDOWS, along with the regular notepad.exe. You should then be able to get to it using Start>Run>notepad2
I will try that when I get home from work later today...

Mr. K said:
Here's how to replace notepad.exe without Windows restoring it to the original.
Same for that...
 

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,013
Latest member
Pdawgintown