Wanna Overclock my dell

Taggert_LOA

Modding Addict
Political Access
I have a Dell dimension 8200 p4 1.7ghz and when i go into the bios to change the FSB it won't let me. anyone know of a bios out there that will?

i dont thikn u can overclock system like that. any pre built system has the bios locked so u cant overclock because of the warenty they dont want to have to pay for a fryed cpu. and im pretty sure u can change the bios to anything that will let u. but who knows maybe u can. not that i know of though.

If you overclock, you void your warranty. You've got a sturdy rig, don't **** it up.

Originally posted by Taggert_LOA
I have a Dell dimension 8200 p4 1.7ghz and when i go into the bios to change the FSB it won't let me. anyone know of a bios out there that will?

The answer is no and it is always that way with the prebuilt name brands very rare would be one of them that would allow anykind of tampering in the bios, only thing you could hope to do is move all your stuff to a new case on a new mobo. :)

I will try like hell but i think i am stuck at 1.7 ghz but i will not give up!!! lol

OC'ing is pointless anyway, the risk/reward is too little. If you got it up to 2.4-2.5GHz I would guarantee that you would notice no difference.

Thats just not true I am sorry but there is a difference that can be noticed from a FSB of 166 and one of 200 the through put for example on the ram is way faster and when you run your ram and fsb in sync it shows... if what your saying is true then a 1.7 would perform the same as a 2.4 but we all know the 2.4 will be faster and cause applications to load faster, and games to run better.

just my humble opinion :)

The BIOS may also have a CPU auto-detect feature, I kno my crappy board does. I bought mine a a Motherboard/CPU combo for $120CDN. AMD Duron 1600+ with aPC Chips VIA M825LU ProSavage DDR KM266 MOtherboard.

well if that is the case i should be able to disable the auto detect then no?

I've heard there are ways to replace the Dell BIOS by reflashing it with an Intel one. But seems to be a one way process and risky. Also the operating system cd you got with your computer will no longer work because it looks for a Dell BIOS.

Search the Dell forums to see if you can find some details.

If I were you I wouldn't try it.

Originally posted by Taggert_LOA
well if that is the case i should be able to disable the auto detect then no?

There is no option to disable it, it just autodetects and thats it, you can't even view the settings for the CPU, I want to upgrade so badly.

LOL

Kermit is right, J79zlr.

You do see the difference. I saw it right away. When I unknownly was running OC'ed and not able to figure out why I couldn't play games, Kermit helped me figure out it was my OC'ed setting. I had to turn it back from 210 x 11 to 200 x 10, I immediately noticed the difference.

Can't OC a Dell, period. Way too much work for the benefit. It is a Pentium anyway. They tend to not lend themselves to OC'ing easily. Gotta hve the Mobo for it.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
Kermit is right, J79zlr.

You do see the difference. I saw it right away. When I unknownly was running OC'ed and not able to figure out why I couldn't play games, Kermit helped me figure out it was my OC'ed setting. I had to turn it back from 210 x 11 to 200 x 10, I immediately noticed the difference.

Can't OC a Dell, period. Way too much work for the benefit. It is a Pentium anyway. They tend to not lend themselves to OC'ing easily. Gotta hve the Mobo for it.

Heeter

I remember that .... and yes a 200FSB with RAM in sync makes for smooth sailing :)

ok so i can take my processor and move it to another mobo then?
one with higher fsb?

You can take everything over to a new mobo but you will most likely need a case as well seeing as Alot of those prebuilt setups don't use the ATX form factor meaning the mouse and keyboard and on board lan's and the rest are not lined up in the standard manner so you case might not be able to have a proper form ATX placed in it, but yes you can take your CPU, your RAM I would think they use standerd RAM I believe its compaq that has some unique ram, and move all that over to a MOBO that can be adjusted the way you would like... there are plenty of good ones on the market, if you need some ideas I am sure you will get a lot of good tips from this site and its members.

:)

anyone know what the highest supported FSB is for a p4 1.7ghz?

400Mhz is the highest supported for a P4 1.7A.

Now, you can try to get some apps from http://www.ocinside.de to change the frequency in Windows. I would also recommend removing the thermal pad from the processor, and replacing it with AS3. It'll give you more OCing headroom.

ok i need some ideas on a mobo that 400 mhz FSB supports p4 1.7ghz
around 150.00- 250.00

also i have a geForce 3 Ti 200 any need to upgrade at this point? most games i play are like coomand and conquer tiger woods need 4 speed.
stuff like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back