Wanderlust

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I swear I've posted a thread like this before. But I can't find it so here is another one.

My situation. Every few years I get bored and I start looking at what else is out there. I'm not looking too hard, I really like my job after all. But I still look. Today I found something I'm interested in applying for, I go to update my resume and I just can't fit anything in anymore. I have a lot of job history. A lot of it comes in the past 5 years. Longest I've had a job was 2.5 years. I left that one for money (30% pay increase). I left that next job after a little more than a year cause it sucked and to be closer to my girlfriend (soon to be wife). And now this current job I've had now for a year and 2 days and I'm already looking around.

This time, it's just I'm sick of the commute (70ish miles one way). The job I have now has some great things going for it, the pay is great for South Dakota, I've learned a lot, I like who I work with. But it has some big drawback in addition to the commute. The pay may be great, but it comes once a month, even a year into this job and I can't budget right for 1 paycheck a month. Also there is just the fact that I'm sick of being everyone's whipping boy. I get yelled at all the time by teachers (FYI, just because someone can teach doesn't mean they are smart) for dumb things like the internet being broken. Really, the whole internet I say? Usually they just flipped off their wifi and are too dumb to turn it back on. Despite the switch being in plain sight, the LED's not being on and Windows reporting that their connection has been disabled. Students aren't much better. It took less than 24 hours for 3 kids to drop their new netbooks and shatter the glass on them. I almost lost it on those kids. Had to take their machines and kick the kids out before someone got hurt. So yeah, I'm tired of my job.

I guess the question I'm asking (if you are still reading this long post) is this: How bad does it look for a guy to be constantly switching jobs? And does anyone else do the job shuffle like I do it?

Job hopping as frequently as you seem to be gives an impression of disloyalty and will prompt potential new employers to wonder how long it will be before they are looking for your replacement.

Being payed once per month is best imo, you'll just have to learn to budget better. It's not hard, it just takes some discipline and self control.

You can also do with putting an end to what you are describing to be you being a yes man/woman. If someone is being an idiot and plain wrong, tell them so. If you make like a doormat, you'll be used as a doormat. Make like a brick wall, people will eventually realise it hurts to hit their heads on it so to speak.

70 miles should be 1.5 hours most. Thats not a terrible commute. I used to spend that long travelling to work and I was only 5-10 miles away at most (public transport FTL).

That is my big fear. I guessed employers would see me a flaky but it's not true. I'm actually very loyal, almost to a fault. I stuck with a job that was super low paying just cause it was fun. So what if I was going broke because of the low pay. The next job was a huge step up in pay but after putting 60000 miles on my car for them with no company car in site (they told me I'd get one after my 90 day training period, lying b@stards) I bolted for this job. And I really do love this job. But its soooo far away. I lived in Orlando and had a 20 mile commute take longer than this drive, it's not the time, it's the distance. With these last 2 jobs I'll be driving a car that isn't paid off and will have 200k miles on it at this rate. Thank FSM it's a Civic.

I know as long as I'm in a support role I'll be dealing with morons, if I ever move into a management role I'll be dealing with higher paid morons. Basically I know morons keep me employed, so I deal with that. As for the once a month pay ... seriously? You think that is the best? I can't stand it. I pay all my bills when I get paid, get groceries and then hoard what I can cause I know it'll be another month before I have any more cash. I just hate it.

I have worked in IT staffing for over 6 years and know a few things... There's a fine line between switching jobs frequently enough for personal and professional growth and staying in the same job for too long that you become "unemployable." When the market was good, it was generally accepted that if you were in a job for 18 months, it was ok to leave. Frequent job histories of less than a year were a bad thing. My personal opinion right now is that it might be a good idea to hang in there at the current job unless an 'unbelievable' offer comes in. I am also familiar with staffing in SD and know that the unemployment rate is high, there aren't a lot of tech jobs, etc and long commutes are unusual for techs/support personnel.

I'm not saying that you should be looking, but I would definitely be very, very discreet about it, especially when it comes to interviews. Taking time off in this market could be a factor in termination.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try as best as I can to throw some ideas out there.

One thing Dreamliner forgot to mention (and I have to say I am shocked because we corresponded previously when I was looking for other employment) is what type of position you hold...

I say this because there is a VERY distinct difference between a normal "commercial" I.T. position and that of a consultant or contractor position.

I have worked many jobs that were short-term contracts... all of which had a high pay for a short time frame and were also contract to perm-hire positions...

Due to my prodigious knowledge of differeing I.T. disciplines I have always been hired on, and offered a significant amount of money to stay when I did find another position that I found intriguing. Being a military contractor with a valid clearance also changes the perception as to why you may have left (or why you may have had a lot of jobs in a short timeframe)... as it is very customary for a former military member to change jobs approximately three to four times within the first 2 years of separating from the military, before they settle into a position they keep for a while.

For instance: I moved to the DC area from South Carolina; and in 4 years more than doubled my salary in the process... in a 4 year time span I had 7 jobs. The funny part is that those 7 positions (in total) only related to three contracts, when one contractor lost a contract I moved to be with the contracts, because I enjoyed them, not many companies today are loyal to employees, so you have no reason to be loyal to them.

So remember to do what is right for you and your family; however, as Dreamliner already pointed out, do so as discreetly as possible.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Mike A!

Mike is absolutely right. Federal contracting or even permanent Federal employment is a TOTALLY different beast; as is what sounds like your position in the education field.

I'm also curious as to why you think you can't fit anything else on your resume... If it's relevant it should be on your resume. You don't want potential employers to have to read between the lines. Everyone has a different opinion on how long a resume should be but I generally say that 5 years of SOLID experience should be a at least 2 pages if not 3.

I'm not afraid of breaking the 1 page resume rule. That is a rule that I found out long ago no one follows, guess the guidance counselors were wrong .... shocking. I was just stunned at how often I was changing jobs. Or at least how often it SEEMED I was doing it. I've had a very active life for the past several years, the way my resume looks right now it seems all I do is work for 12-18 months, move, get a new job and repeat. Need to change that perception.

I would say fill it up... your resume that is... and/or tailor your resume to the job posting in question... it is never a bad thing to cover all of the items listed on the job posting with items on your resume.

My resume is over three pages long without any contacts, awards, or letters of reccomendation...

Lastly, if/when you do decide to look for that next job, be honest, and simply tell them why you are still looking for another job... whatever that may be...

Cheers!

Mike A!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back