WAN Miniport in XP Home

E

engel59

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software question.

In my "Device Manager" under "Network adapters" I now have two items listed. One is my Ethernet Card (SOHware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter) and the other I have no clue (WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)). I think I install a program that caused it to appear. Right now it has as a yellow (!) exclamation mark in front of it. I tried removing it but It won't go away. I tried updating the driver and it says I already have the most current. I tried rolling back the driver but it says there is nothing to roll back to. I have also removed a few programs from my system so I'm not sure who the culprit is.
I think the program was "MyVitalAgent 8.0". But also around that time I installed a new USB 2.0 PCI Card.

I have a Windows XP Home system and all my Internet settings are on my DSL Linksys Router.

It's not causing any problems but it is annoying.

The WAN properties window shows the following error in the Device status area:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I was finally able to remove it. I did a reinstall of the program, went back into the Device Manager, and was able to tell it to let me choose the device. I chose my same Ethernet card and then I was able to remove it. I could have sworn I tried to pick a different device before and there where no other devices to pick from. I could be wrong on that to. At least I don't have any more yellow exclamation marks now.

It turns out the it was using Microsoft's WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) drivers. I guess that is why it wasn't working. lol.

engel59 - you've made my day - I installed MyVitalAgent 8.0 a few weeks ago about the same time as I installed an ISDN service. I noticed that the WAN Miniport driver had been installed and just like you experienced, it was disabled with the same error message and couldn't be uninstalled. Even worse, my Xircom modem was also disabled but I didn't really connect the two (duh!).

After seeing your post I uninstalled MyVitalAgent and got rid of the Miniport driver but even better, my Xircom modem which had become seemingly and irrecoverably trashed despite unistalling and reloading drivers was also able to be resurrected with a fresh install.

I haven't re-loaded MyVitalAgent as yet but given your experiences will do so - I assume you are referring to the XP Device Manager in your last message - how did you get MyVitalAgent to choose your device.

Thanks (A Smiling Now) Bluey Zee

Glad to here I was able to help you out.
I'm not running MyVitalAgent anymore so I don't remember how I got it all to work.

I found, at least for me, that going to http://www.dslreports.com/tools and running Tweak Test and Speed Tests helped increase my internet speed.

If you want to speed up your modem downloading time as well, you need to install a download manager. You can read a little bit about it here: http://206.117.28.84/ubbthreads/sho...=155494&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 .

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back