w3 standards... HELP!

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
after trying to comply with the w3 standards, i'm about to put my computer through a all :angry:

i just can't eliminate these errors, and that stupid website doesnt offer much help

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...automatically)&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional

can someone please take a look at that, and offer me any help on why i am getting these errors and how to remove them, thanx :)

hopefully speedy will take a look at this.. cuz does he f**k answer u on msn :eek: :D

To use <LI> you need to use in like this

Here is a list
<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
</ul>

if u look on the main nav www.imageoflight.net you can see its indented slightly, this is caused by using

<ul style=\"margin:0px 0px 0px 15px;padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;\">
</ul>

when i add <li>One</li> that adds bullet points, which i dont want. i havent actually been using any <li> tags just the <ul>

any ideas?

yes i put the style in the div tag and removed some xml stuff,and it seems ot work fine, thanx guys

You have valid XHTML on your page, but you are using HTML4 trans. You need to remove all style information and use CSS for it.

Stuff like this isn't necessary,

<div style="margin:0px 0px 0px 15px;padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;" class="menubot">

just use CSS and do not declare the style in the tag.

XHTML 1.1 requires that ALL alignment information be included in css... No target tags either (those are invalidated in XHTML 1.0 strict also). It's good to put all your text formatting into a css file anyway since it makes it so much easier to go back and quickly change things. It also cuts down the size of your html files if you strip them of everything that can be included in a css file. Needless to say, I got mine to validate as 1.0 strict, but can't get it to validate 1.1 because phpgiggle adds blank "rel" tags to all the links it creates. If anyone's php-savvy and could tell me what code in phpgiggle to edit to make it not create the "rel" part of my link tags, I'd be most appreciative.

<li style="list-style-type:none">list item</li>

though a better way is just to have this in your CSS
li { list-style-type:none; }

yeah i am going to re-create the css today, but i seem to have trouble with it so it will take me sometime.

your site appears to be tentatively valid if you change your doctype definition to XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Sorry for being away from my screen for 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back