VPN on SP2 requires hotfix (884020)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Well I applied SP2 last night and have now discovered I need a hotfix to get the VPN connection working so that I can get on with my work :rolleyes:

Actually I do remember reading about this before, but I also saw there was a hotfix for the problem, so did not let it put me off. Now I find that a hotfix is not available immediately for download - I have put in an incident report with M$ requesting it. Does anyone here know where I could get it faster? Anyone have it and can mail it to me? Would appreciate not having to wait too long - otherwise will just have to use my notebook to work on :cool:

As CPUGenius has pointed out to me on another thread - this hotfix is not necessarily directly related to VPN. However, there are many VPN clients for which this hot fix may be relevant - so I have not editted the subject line.

I am not using any particular client, simply the native VPN ability for a configured connection in XP to use for Automatic (which will be PPTP). The connection is made fine and is active - problem is when I try to use it and seems irrespective of Firewall being enabled or not. The most success I can get is with firewall up when I can get my TN3270 client to give me a logon screen - but cannot send any information back up to continue the dialog.

There's a link here to a forum which alerted me to the hotfix. I have to say that I was disappointed the hotfix has not resolved my problems. Anyone else have anything to offer that might help me progress? I have tried adding programs to the exceptions list for firewall with no joy.

fixed it myself or have I?

Turns out, as mentioned at one point to end of thread I linked to, I had to delete my existing VPN connection and remake it. I guess that tcpip.sys file gets embedded when VPN connections are made, or somesuch.

Anyway- point is SP2 sure as heck did truly screw up MY VPN connection and so far as I am aware I needed the hot fix (will go and check that out as I have another machien with SP2 newly installed, when I can get access)..... The thing I did not realise is that the network connection has to be remade to finally fix it properly - then it works fine with firewall up too.

Just posting up so that anyone else who hits this knows.

[EDIT] this is too strange - :confused: - just tried to tidy things up and the connection has stopped working again! :eek: Will post if I get to bottom of this... Would be good to hear from anyone with any idea what might be going on...[/EDIT]

HELPPpppp! I am completely confused, my SP1 machine can do all this fine, my SP2 machine without the hot-fix can dial VPN connection OK but then nothing will work over it, and my SP2 machine with the hot-fix just gives me variable results, sometimes it plays ball for a while and then the 3270 connection I am using to test it just times out.

My best guess is that maybe SP2 has created issues server side. I cannot really ask my company since they asked us not to put SP2 on yet :( Lucky I still have my notebook running SP1! I have tried netsh winsock reset and remaking connection etc - is there anythign more I can try?

OK I have continued with this and found a workaround.... What is happening is the correct PPTP route is destroyed withing a few seconds of its creation.

But if you manually add the required ROUTE for your needs then it will stay in place for the duration of your VPN connection, something like ROUTE ADD 10.5.6.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.5.X.X where 10.5.X.X is the IP addie assigned to you by the VPN server.

you can't really script that and will have to cover any other IP addresses you were accustomed to access over VPN, so it is not really a complete solution at all. I guess I'll inform M$ and see what they say.

Oh yes, and if anyone is not going PPTP and connects to VPN through a NAT there's another issue which is covered here with a registry mod to restore pre-SP2 behaviour. Needless to say this did not help me though.

I'm always talking to myself when I have trouble with the ****ing 'pooter! (Don't we all?)

Seriously though, thought it would affect someone out there! If not guess that's interesting in itself about OSNN...

Mainframeguy said:
Seriously though, thought it would affect someone out there! If not guess that's interesting in itself about OSNN...
Hehe, as I mentioned in the other thread, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the Cisco VPN client that I use. I could never get XP's built-in client to work with the university VPN even pre-SP2, although the univ. VPN support site claims that it works. :S

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back