VPN - many users out there?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I'm just curious if we have among us any people who (like me) make use of the VPN facility to connect to other networks. In my case it's professionally for work, but for others I guess it may be other stuff...

And if there are any have you found it works seamlessly?

I am having this one glitch where sometimes the VPN connection will get "stuck" and refuse to disconnect - only solution I've found for this scenario being a reboot. In fact I just had to do one to get to post this thread! Tied my machine up so bad no online activity was possible, could not even cut primarly DSL connection!

Ive used it a few times, and just like you it gets "stuck". I really dont know why, and it is annoying.

I have a VPN set up on my desktop at home so that I can connect to it from here (university), and my dad can connect to it from work. The computer is permanently connected to the internet via a cable connection, and we use it mainly for file storage, to keep backups of documents, emails, downloads etc.
I haven't had any glitches of it locking up, or getting "stuck" so far, even though I've transfered some huge files that have taken quite a while.

I'm only trying to find a way by which I can retain a connection to the web, while I'm connected to the VPN. Every time I connect to the VPN, I am unable to use the internet connection. Anyone have any ideas to get around this?

it tunnels...

Ok so what you need to understand is that you have your net connect - that has to come first - then your VPN will "tunnel" thru it - this means that any net access is subject to VPN restrictions (in my case they have some kinda RAPTOR firewall stuff, luckily it lets NTFS thru!).

SO... You still do have the internet connection - but it HAS TO BE thru the "tunnelled" network - in my case my employing company has no trouble servicing my bandwidth needs. It seems in your case this is an issue....

Only answer I know - terminate VPN to restore net access....

But that's where I came in - it is that activity that (sometimes) locks up on me (and Bronx)...

any comments welcome - hope I am technically OK here!

I have VPN connection to work as well...we use Entrust for VPN and the Cisco VPN Client....and it works great....only thing is...once I am VPN'd in...I cannot use my internet enabled applications...our VPN guy here at the office said that is by design to maintain the security of our network.

you're right Mr Ballard - it IS secure - but can be frustrating if you're out on the hubs... also it is under control of the "VPN guy" - luckily for me my company is more permissive (they have RAPTOR!)

Re: it tunnels...

Originally posted by MainframeGuy
Ok so what you need to understand is that you have your net connect - that has to come first - then your VPN will "tunnel" thru it - this means that any net access is subject to VPN restrictions (in my case they have some kinda RAPTOR firewall stuff, luckily it lets NTFS thru!).

SO... You still do have the internet connection - but it HAS TO BE thru the "tunnelled" network - in my case my employing company has no trouble servicing my bandwidth needs. It seems in your case this is an issue....

Only answer I know - terminate VPN to restore net access....

Yes, I understand how VPN tunneling works, and that you need to terminate the VPN connection to restore internet access.

What I was asking was if anyone knows if there is any way to configure the Windows Routing and Remote Access services (which I use to accept incoming VPN connections on my desktop at home) to allow connected users to be able to use a channeled internet connection.
I was told some time ago that people make use of proxy servers installed on the VPN server for this purpose, but I really wasn't clear on that subject. I'm not even sure that's the way it's done.

I have a kind of ghetto VPN running. I direct SSH tunnels to different computers on my internal network to VNC into then securely. It doesnt work like a actual VPN attaching my computer to the network and allowing network browsing and stuff, it just lets me VNC into any computer on my LAN behind my router without opening ports to the machine itself. If i need a file i use VNC to upload it to a webserver, and i download it again. It works ok for what i need it for.

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back