VoptXP is too Kool

T

tyk82002

I originally got the address for BOBangles post on another thread, so I can't take any credit for it, but VoptXp it the greatest free defrager that I have seen yet!!!!!!The link is only aa trial version but it's well worth a try>

http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

UM,
That would be BOBbagels LOL
And glad I could help.:)

Sorry about the typo.:eek: Won't happen again! THANK YOU for the link.:cool:

VoptXP is okay for a bare bones defragmenter - along the same lines as the built-in defragmenter as it doesn't provide a way to defragment the pagefile or hibernate file (according to the VoptXP help file, their solution to defragmenting the hibernate file is to disable hibernation when defrag starts and re-enable when defrag finishes and let Windows re-create it and hope that it is contiguous), directories on FATx partitions or non-$MFT metadata on NTFS partitions. It does provide an easier way to schedule. It does have a kinda a sexy interface though as well a hooks into some of the other built-in WinXP tools/utilities. For somebody looking for an alternative to the built-in defragmenter and not wanting a full featured defragmetner or not wanting to pay a lot of money for something - it's okay :)

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility and a competitor to VoptXP, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Hiya Greg,
I have both Vopt and Perfect Disc on this partition. I know I definately like PD as I have been using it for quite a while now. I havent made up my mind about Vopt yet though. Vopt seemes a little faster than PD and can be scheduled to defrag on boot up.I dont think PD can do that, but I could be wrong.

From what I see Vopt does defrag the pagefile upon boot up.
I was unaware that Perfect Disc defragged the pagefile at all.

Can you enlighten me?

I installed Vopt on XP Pro machine and had nothing but trouble with it.
I was getting low memory errors messages, outlook express would'nt work, and it shoved about 1gb of files at the end of the drive. :mad:

Vopt has a "start before boot" option on Win9x/ME only. It does NOT provide this option for NT4, Win2k or WinXP.

PerfectDisk provides for a boot time defrag. You need to double click on the drive and select the offline options there. Then, you can either tell PD to do it on every reboot, or you can do it once (right mouse click on a partition and select offline defragment) or can schedule it to occur (select offline when prompted under File Type).

- Greg/Raxco Software

Thanks Greg, thats good to know about PD and I'll give it a try.

1 other thing though, Vopt does provide a "start before boot" option for XP. I have XP pro and am using that feature now with Vopt.

In the end I know I will be going back to PD most likely as I am comfortable with it plus I paid for it LOL.

"1 other thing though, Vopt does provide a "start before boot" option for XP. I have XP pro and am using that feature now with Vopt."

Okay - I must totally be NOT seeing how to do this and there is no indication in the help file on how to do this or on GoldenBow's web site.

The only information that I can find is on how to schedule VoptXP so that it will start doing a defragmentation pass AFTER the system has booted. This is done via a Daily schedule.

This is completely different than performing a boot time defrag PRIOR to the system booting in order to defragment the hibernate file, pagefile, directories on FATx partitions and non-$MFT metadata on NTFS partitions.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Hi (again) Greg,

Ok, I did some comparing and I think I know the REAL deal now.

I think you are correct, What Vopt actually does is perform a defrag ON bootup. It will defrag BEFORE automatic startup programs are launched. But not before WINDOWS starts. I cannot tell if the Pagefile or Windows root directories are defragged at all with this process and doubt they are. The "on bootup" statement Vopt makes can be slightly misleading and confused me somewhat.

On the other hand PD performed a defrag totally BEFORE windows booted at all. It confirmed pagefile and root directory defragmentation, did it quickly and painlessly. Asked for a reboot when done and all was almost good.

I say almost cause my Antivirus (Norton 2002) did not load on that bootup. Another quick reboot and it loaded at that time. No big deal.
Also after the defrag prior to XP booting I noticed 22 files remained fragmented(very small MGB amount). So bieng the hound I am ;) I did a normal defrag with PD and after that defrag 0 files were fragmented.

So does this mean that when doing a defrag before boot up PD does not catch everything?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At any rate, I gotta give PD my vote. As you said Vopt is a good program,inexpensive and easy to use. But for those willing to pay just a little bit more I think PD is the way to go.

GHayes

You ought to get xp-erience.org to advertise your product for you if it is so good. All this free publicity is a bandwidth eater ;) . Be good to these guys they are a valuable resource for the XP novices of the world. When (if) i ever have a product or service to sell i will be contacting waddy myself. I love this site but god imagine the bill for the ds3 it must take to keep the bandwidth i know they need.

"I cannot tell if the Pagefile or Windows root directories are defragged at all with this process and doubt they are."

With VoptXP, they are not. Doing so requires that they be done early early early in the boot process. MS provides a mechanism to do this. There is a BootExecute registry key and it is in here where programs that need to run before the virtual machine is created, etc... are run. This is also where AutoCHK runs (to see if your system has been abnormally shut down or if you have told the OS to do a CHKDSK /F and it requires a reboot).

"So does this mean that when doing a defrag before boot up PD does not catch everything? "

Microsoft's defrag APIs allow most files to be defragmented online. The ones that can't have to be done at boot time. When PD does a boot time defrag, it is only doing those files that can not be done online.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Thanks

Thanks for the information! I was starting to stress cos I have been purchasing PerfectDisk 2000 for a few years now and I am glad to see that their tech staff is as passionate about this program as those of us who use it :)

Cheers

Tam

OK.....OK... Let me refraze..VoptXP is the best option for those of us who spent a house payment on XP, itself!!!:cool: And are now tooooo poor to buy any thing else.

Hey Bud :)

I am still interested in it. VoptXP I mean :) Thank you for telling us all about it :)

One bad thing about Pefectdisk is that they upgrade quite often and when they do you have to BUY an upgrade. I bought Perfectdisk 3 and then lost my license. So I bought it again and then 6 months later they upgraded to PerfectDisk 4.. I just bought it about 6 months ago and now its PerfectDisk 5.. I am glad they upgrade their stuff but I paid $50.00 for 4 and now I have to pay another $25.00 for the upgrade to 5.

I realize they have to make money, to create such a quality program, I am just not rich and I hope I havent' offended anyone :)

Cheers!

Tam

Tamarelle,

Raxco releases a new version of PerfectDisk about once a year.

PDV3 was released 10/99. PDV4 was released in 3/01. PDV5 was released in 4/02.

In all instances, the new versions of PerfectDisk were significant improvements (especially in performance) over the earlier version. In addition, new versions were released in order to support newer versions of Windows (Windows 2000 and Windows XP). This really is no different than other software companies who release new versions of software every year as well (Symantec for example).

For those customers who purchase software 3 months prior to a new version coming out - we give them the new version (they don't have to purchase an upgrade).

When you lost your license for PDV3, you should have contacted us. Raxco certainly tries to treat our customers "right" and as long as our customers can provide proof of purchase then we make arrangements to get the software to them again.

- Greg/Raxco Software

"VoptXP is the best option for those of us who spent a house payment on XP, itself!!! And are now tooooo poor to buy any thing else."

I certainly can agree that cheap looks attractive when trying to outfit your computer with software - I know that's one of the things I consider when purchasing software for my home computer :)

Just a little comparision:

VoptXP - Single user license - $40 (from their web site)
PerfectDisk - Single user license - $44 (from our web site)

Only a $4.00 difference in price...

- Greg/Raxco Software

Hey Thanks GHayes :)

I certainly didn't mean to be offensive and I hope you didn't take me amiss :) I love PerfectDisk and wouldn't think of using any other proggie :) And I realize that they are in fact far better than some companies, such as RealPlayer who really go all out to take your money.

I consider PerfectDisk one of my better investments. I post a lot at Asusboards, which is a tech site and most guys there with 2000 or XP also rave about PerfectDisk. It blows away the competition no doubt about it :)

Cheers

Tam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back