Volume issue :(

Silvio

Argentinean Dogo
I dont know why this is happening:
Lets say i open for example winamp AND Windows Media Player at the same time, and have them playing an audio file and a video.
Then when i mute or low down the volume in one of them the other does the same thing. I mean its like they are linked in the volume output.
So i cant watch a video muted while listening to a mp3 cause both of them get muted.
Its happens not only with the apps i mentioned earlier, but with any app that has volume control (sonique, Media player classic, etc).
How can i "unlink" them, i mean, have control over each volume level without affecting the other.
Is the there a stupid option i changed, could it be something i installed?
Thanks!

When you are muting them as you say, is it Windows Volume Control or application volume control?

With Windows XP, there is only audio control over the whole system. However, per application audio control is in development for Windows Vista.

Well if the application is tied to Windows directly, which it may be, it will mute your entire system.

I know Winamp has the ability to control it's own volume and not link (and thus control) the windows volume.

There is only one of each type of audio channel (Wave, CD, Line) in your sound card mixer so whichever application tries to control it last will win.

If the application is controlling master volume instead of CD Audio or Wave then all channels will be affected.

If the applications use different channels of the mixer then they could work independently.

Netryder:
So how does Vista do the independent volume controls? Muting is easy, just don't allow the app channel into the mixer.
Is Vista taking over some of the sound cadr overhead? Or is this only going to be on certain card types or sounds sources?

LeeJend said:
Netryder:
So how does Vista do the independent volume controls? Muting is easy, just don't allow the app channel into the mixer.
Is Vista taking over some of the sound cadr overhead? Or is this only going to be on certain card types or sounds sources?
The audio stack in Vista has been rewritten from the ground up (and it's all in user mode now). The per-app volume control feature was one of the design requirements when the new stack was being implemented. It works with any sound card, as far as I know, including onboard chips.

*slaps himself*

post fixed, thanks NR ;)

EDIT: I would give you some rep, but I have to spread it around first. Stop being so darn helpful :)

^^^^ Is glad it wasn't a pr0n link........ :D

Steevo said:
^^^^ Is glad it wasn't a pr0n link........ :D
That's what I was thinking. Clipboard contents can sometimes be...rather embarrasing. :D

hehe, nah, not that bad, luckily I was at work, else it may have been.............. ;)

I just want to clarify a few things:

Most apps will just use DirectSound audio. This ties to the "wave" slider in the XP mixer. A good audio app will also have an internal volume control (Foobar2000, winamp). Some poorly designed apps will also grab the "master" volume control (WinDVD).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back