voice recognition

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
just wondering if anyone out there uses voice recognition on a regular basis? I'm using it now to type this post, or rather to speak it.
I know that most people have probably had a quick play around with it especially since Microsoft included it with office XP, but does anyone use it seriously? :)

I've played with Dragon NaturallySpeaking a long time ago, but I've never used it on a regular basis. I'm sure it's improved quite a bit in accuracy since I last used it.

Using v7 here, I've spent about an hour training it, needs a bit more training, but it's pretty accurate as it is :)

i would like to try a few pices of software if there anygood ;)

i've used then in the past + they've not been 2 reliable ;)

My son set it up on our pc and I made him take it off in the end........stupid pc started typing on it's own :confused:

Problem is my annoying Aussie/Kiwi accent. Can't get me too far with voice rocognition. Annoys me how U.S dominates everything.:(

HMMMmmm and if we use this software - where does that leave project dolphin? You should get in touch with them - could start an exclusive new project to recognice VR words or something (j/k!)

Originally posted by Henyman
i would like to try a few pices of software if there anygood ;)

i've used then in the past + they've not been 2 reliable ;)
If you've got office give it a go, after training it I found Office XP to be quite good, I haven't tried it with Office 2003 yet, not sure if it's an area they've improved on though :)

Originally posted by Evil Marge
My son set it up on our pc and I made him take it off in the end........stupid pc started typing on it's own :confused:
It only works when turned on. Dragon Naturally Speaking has a nifty little tray icon you can just click to turn it on and off (or a button on thr bar if you have that showing) and office has the language bar with a mic on/off button too

Originally posted by coathanger007
Problem is my annoying Aussie/Kiwi accent. Can't get me too far with voice rocognition. Annoys me how U.S dominates everything.:(
I found that if I spoke in an american accent Office would work better, but dragon seems to work when I speak naturally, I have quite a lazy English accent, I dont normally pronounce things as they are ment to be, but it still manages to work. If it doesn't you can just shout 'correct' at it, and tell it what you meant. :)

Originally posted by MainframeGuy
HMMMmmm and if we use this software - where does that leave project dolphin? You should get in touch with them - could start an exclusive new project to recognice VR words or something (j/k!)
haha, you could just talk gibberish to it.. or leave it listening to the TV :p :D

i only have works :(

any good software i can get off internet or in a shop?

I used IBM viavoice many moons ago, but found it to be very obstructive, much like older OCR software.
You'd spend more time training the damn thing than you would actually using it!.:mad:

I suppose like all things digital, this has come on in leaps and bounds since I last battled with voice recognition software.
Life just seems too short!. hehe
If the newer software is really good then I'd give it a bash!,
I'm a slow finger typist anyhow :eek:, so anything would be a speed improvement imho :D

Bleh........I'd rather type.We had to put on a posh voice to use it cause damn thing couldn't understand me accent.
A friend tried other software that wouldn't have it either :confused:

If it doesn't understand you then you haven't trained it enough. simple as that.

Where humans can walk up to almost any person who speaks the same language and decipher the accent, a computer can not, it doesn't recognise speech in the same way that we do, it recognises wave patters and other formations created by the sounds we make. Therefore you have to train it specifically to your voice and the noises which you create when talking.

Nah I think I'll stick to typing.....I don't want people listening to what I'm posting,there's things that kids shouldn't hear ;)

My only experience with voice recognition stems from the time a few months ago I called up (on the home phone) to get a movie schedule for a local Hoyts movie theater. There was a conversation in the next room that kept screwing up the computer. It took me a minute to actually realize that it was ALL voice prompted, no pressing buttons ... which would have seemed a whole lot easier. =/

Voice recognition right now is a nice toy that's been heavily marketted. The PC could recognise keyboard commands and mouse clicks a heck of a lot faster than voice commands. Of course, if you're disabled and had no other choice then voice recognition is a necessity and I believe at the moment, this is the only realistic use for it.

The most annoying thing is that you must have no background noise. Technology is nowhere near the stage where the PC can recognise specific voices and distinguish it from others. It's simply too inconvenient to maintain the ideal environment - especially since I like playing music in the background. If you take a good look at those futuristic movies, people use voice commands but haven't replaced the keyboard for voice recognition.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
If you've got office give it a go, after training it I found Office XP to be quite good, I haven't tried it with Office 2003 yet, not sure if it's an area they've improved on though :)

Yeah, I tried the one included with Office XP a while ago as well. I was quite impressed. It seemed to recognize most of what I was saying although I speak with nothing even close to an American accent :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back