VMWare + Linux

MdSalih

The Boss
Have been trying to install linux in VMWare for past three days.. have tried.. Mandrake 10.1.. Fedora Core 2 & 3 - none want to work.

On all, Fedora Core 2 & 3 installs... with SCSI drive in VMWare.. it installs fine.. but when booting for first time it doesn't work.. it says:

Kenerl Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I can't work out how to fix that.. also tried FC2 on IDE and i get the same error after it has installed :(

----------------------------

Mandrake 10.1 - downloaded about 5 copies of this now.. tried DVD.. Mini.. and 3x CD's... all of them keep coming up with errors on multiple packages.. around 90% of them i'm guessing.. :(

----------------------------

Would be greatful if anyone has any ideas in regards to the Kernel Panic.. i can supply more info at request (If u instruct me how to get it :p)

MdSalih

That kernel panic basically is telling you it can't find the root partition. That block 0,0 is the first partition on the first IDE drive, which if you are using VMWare, is wrong, so your bootloader is configured wrong. I have no experience with VMWare, so I'm not sure exactly what drive you are using or how that works.

If you are going to install it on a seperate partition/drive, why not just dual boot?

Installing a Linux Guest in VMware is really easy, but can be confusing the first couple of times. I currently have 2 different distro's installed as guests on a WinXP SP2 Host running VMware 4.5.2

To be able to help you though, I have to ask a few questions.
1. What version of VMware are you running?

2. Are you trying to install the guest OS using a virtual drive or are you pointing to a physical drive?

Next I would like to mention that it has been my experience to stay away from configuring the guest OS to use SCSI until you become more familiar with the workings of that particular guest OS. Just custom configure your guest to use IDE, try to set aside at least 256megs of ram for a modern Linux Distro. And dont try installing the VMware tools on any of the new Linux distro's that make use of X.org instead of XFree86 for the X Windows Server. You will need to do some custom patching at this time as the VMware tools do not currently support that particular configuration.

You will experience this problem with Fedora 3, SUSE 9.2, etc...

I'm sure we can get you up and running, it just might require a few posts in here.

CipheR

Thanks..

I'm currently running V 4.0.0 Build 4460 .. its a virtual disk.. gave it 8 GB to play with...

MdSalih

Great, I would suggest upgrading to 4.5.2 though ( It's a free upgrade from 4.0 ) which will get you more up to date and better supported. The issue you are currently experiencing was very common on 4.0.0 and most have reported no further problems after making the upgrade.

SO, basically, you probably weren't doing anything wrong at all, there was just an issue with the version your running... lol... Gotta love banging your head on the wall for nothing :)

If you continue to have problems after the upgrade, let me know.

CipheR

CipheR said:
Great, I would suggest upgrading to 4.5.2 though ( It's a free upgrade from 4.0 ) which will get you more up to date and better supported. The issue you are currently experiencing was very common on 4.0.0 and most have reported no further problems after making the upgrade.

SO, basically, you probably weren't doing anything wrong at all, there was just an issue with the version your running... lol... Gotta love banging your head on the wall for nothing :)

If you continue to have problems after the upgrade, let me know.

CipheR
Thanks.. just thats a great help.. isntalled 4.5.2 - and then mandrake on top...

However, now i'm having a problem of starting X - see attachement of what i see when I type in startx - its at that resolution too.. and split into four screens. I can't make out the errors on the screen :s

Any ideas? Might have something to do with resolution... is there an attrib to startx to set resolution? /me google's

MdSalih

Attachments

• mandrake 10.gif
    mandrake 10.gif
    54.6 KB · Views: 121
where's the attachment?

ok, you need to configure X

If you are using XFree, run xfree86config or if you are using Xorg, run xorgconfig and answer the questions.

hmmm.. i can't make out the questions on the screen..as the text is undreable :( - too small/pixelated - any ideas how to change it to a single screen.. as appose to the 4 it currently shows?

MdSalih

Don't know, never used vmware. Personally, if this is your first endeavour into linux, you are adding another step to the learning curve. I would try running a live CD like Knoppix to get used to it, or dual boot it.

xorgconfig is a command line utility last i checked. If you are online ill help you out with it after i get home from school.

X-Istence said:
xorgconfig is a command line utility last i checked. If you are online ill help you out with it after i get home from school.
Thanks.. muchly appreciated..

Just tried installing the mini version.. same thing... reinstalled full mandrake from DVD.. same thing.. its not liking my video/screen set up i think. The install is fine.. its just getting X & the screen working which is the problem i believe.

MdSalih

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back