Vlc 2.0

N

Not Bman

I am a long time MPCHC user, with different variations on codecs. The only issue I have ever had is that MPCHC is very simple and old looking.

VLC 2.0 was just released and it looks amazing. Yes the Mac version got the nice look, but I assume Windows is to follow.

Just wondering your guys thoughts on VLC. Issues, positives...

I haven't used it in quite some time. Is it good, can it play pretty much anything without issue. I almost never have issues with my current MPCHC setup.

Just would love some style.

I will keep telling everyone this every time they mention VLC:

Do. Not. Use. It.

You simply get superior playback with mpc-hc + madvr + LAV Filters, Haali splitter and reclock.

Keep using the setup I linked to you a while back and be happy.

I use VLC all the time and never have an issue with it. Besides,

Use whatever you want, VLC however is the last thing you should be using for media playback on windows :) Even the windows mplayer port (smplayer) is better than VLC. But really you want to be using MPC-HC, madVR renderer, LAV filters, Haali Splitter and Reclock for the best possible playback on windows.

I agree with you. I love the setup you gave me (and previous versions of it) without issue.

Yet, so many people I know praise VLC. I also liked it quite a bit originally. What exactly is your issue with it?

And here is a question. What is your suggestion for the best setup for watching videos on linux?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find MPC-HC locking up a lot. It stutters and staggers through most of my movies. So I don't use it that often.VLC plays them perfectly, without any issue.

I will keep telling everyone this every time they mention VLC:

Do. Not. Use. It.

You simply get superior playback with mpc-hc + madvr + LAV Filters, Haali splitter and reclock.

Keep using the setup I linked to you a while back and be happy.

could you post that setup link again?

personally, I simple use windows player when it works and vlc when windows player doesn't work

one great feature of vlc, i can drag anything I want into the apo and it tries to open it, most other players don't try opening anything they don't recognize, does your setup do that to?

I just upgraded to VLC 2.0. I like it.

I feel the best player now is PotPlayer...even has a native 64 bit version.

Just do not update through the player or you will download the Korean version.
I also do not install the chat stuff.
This player was created by the same person who did KmPlayer until Km was sold to pandora.

Latest version: |MG| PotPlayer 1.5.32007 Download

Do a search and read some reviews of PotPlayer. :)

could you post that setup link again?

personally, I simple use windows player when it works and vlc when windows player doesn't work

one great feature of vlc, i can drag anything I want into the apo and it tries to open it, most other players don't try opening anything they don't recognize, does your setup do that to?

I can only provide it via PM as it's on an anime episode download site.

If you want it let me know and I'll pm the link.

As to playback - it plays everything I throw at it except bink/smacker which a lot of games use. I understand licensing issues prevents updates to that.

Yet, so many people I know praise VLC. I also liked it quite a bit originally. What exactly is your issue with it?

Most people on earth are satisfied with "good enough".

madVR gives extremely accurate (and highly configurable) image resize/rescale to a degree that nvidia/ati/microsoft don't bother providing by using gpu shaders.

See madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) - Doom9's Forum for extreme examples of rescale ability of the various renderers.

LAV filters are a very high speed re-implementation of the codecs in libavcodec (the basis of ffdshow, mpc-hc built in, vlc built in) and straight up stopped my pc producing 2fps on a very high grain, high bitrate 1080p BD re-mux of an anime movie - achieving with software decode what my GTX260 couldn't in hardware I might add.

Reclock (get the slysoft builds - they work with madvr to give near butter smooth playback) just about removes the jitter that occurs when playing 23fps stuff on a 59fps display such that it is far less of an issue.

And here is a question. What is your suggestion for the best setup for watching videos on linux?

Linux/Mac: mplayer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back