visual basic.net help

GhoulScout

OSNN Addict
can someone help me with this project. i finished with the design, and now am trying to figure out how to calculate for new releases and the dvd or vhs option. thanks for any help

well i think it wold be simple to calculate, math is the worst part in programming thati have i hate math, but sometimes it helps if you write them down just as normal english-math on paper then translate them to code

i'm not understanding what it means by using a boolean property for new releases. but thank you for trying to answer

you should have a boolean (true/false) variable to check if it's a new release or not, i dont know how to boolean that good haven't coded in VB for like 2yrs

i cant figure out how the boolean would work. the directions that i attached is what my teacher gave me and i cant figure that part out for the life of me.

try asking X-Istance i think he knows how to program good maybe he might be able to help you, coz i forgot all about theses things learned them once in grade 11 and forgot about them :s

Never programmed VB.net i am fraid to say. But i am betting that if you look through your course material, and notes you took during class that you could get what you needed.

boolean variables are either true or false, on the low level, most people have them as int's, so 1 = true, 0 = false.

So if it is a new release, your program would set the boolean to true, then later when you are calculating the cost, you check if this boolean is set, and if it is, then you make the price higher than the normal cost, depending on it being DVD or Vhs.

I don't know VB.net, but the concepts show below (c#) should be similar. The goal you have is to create an object. This object needs certain properties. You need a string to return a class variable of movie_title. You need boolean values [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean] to determine if your object is a VHS, DVD, New Release, or a Member Rental. After that, It should be pretty straight forward. I think if I give you any more info I'd be doing the assignment for you. But, I'm still open to questions. Look below for the C# example...
Code:
// GET or SET From
                public String movie_title {
                        get {
                                return _movie_title;
                        }
                        set {
                                _movie_title = value;
                        }
                }
// GET or SET From
                public Bol dvd {
                        get {
                                return _dvd;
                        }
                        set {
                                _dvd = value;
                        }
                }

A Boolean value (true or false) in VB, Access VB (all versions) prior to .NET is a misnomer as it can be expressed as either the “value” -1, “meaning true”, “true”, or “false”, 0, however in .NET the keywords true or false are expected.

Coercion of data types as you can imagine, between the two now totally different languages is a nightmare as it’s a matter of contention which is applied unless you have used true and false. This logic is the nightmare of programmers attempting to convert their applications from one system to another and it does not end here either. Data types in any .NET language do not readily convert to any known logic model, null data types are the best example of this.

Microsoft should, and could have (easily if they had thought the model through), provided an upgrade path that trapped some of these more serious issues which by the way are extremely difficult to de-bug even if you are aware of them, instead they just proceeded down the .NET path and not until after its release considered any other issues. This does not sound like “Object Orientated” design processes to me, surely one programming team can communicate with another within the same company? Well maybe not as is the case here. A mess it surely is and you will have to pick up the pieces. Or Microsoft will now lose market share in a way they have never experienced before, just like IBM before them and Digital Research.

:) :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back