Vista WEI score

Re: What are your Vista Performance scores?

DDR2 makes my head hurt...

It should be 333 and 667 clock speeds for DDR2 PC 5300. It looks like your system RAM may be 10% underclocked (or Sandra is wrong, try CPUz if it has a Vista friendly version yet).
I will try CPUz. Good post though. :)

Yes they do one for vista, see attached screenies. :)

Attachments

• Memory1.jpg
    Memory1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Memory2.jpg
    Memory2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

I might just have to buy an AMD X2 6000+ after the price cuts that are supposed to happen..... in a day..... and after i get my tax return.

Yay, Elemental is going to start Folding soon.

:cool:

I will try CPUz. Good post though. :)

Yes they do one for vista, see attached screenies. :)

rush

It looks like your RAM is underclocked. CPU screen 1 shows the actual at 200 but the supports up to 333 I'm assuming the CPU is set for 200 mhz clock (check the screen on cpuz). So it looks like the ram is set up to run synchronous with your processor which ends up really underclocking it.
This may be a limitation with the AMD CPU's on board memory controller.

Take a look in your Bios there may be a setting for making the cpu and ram non-synchronous. With a differnce of 200 vs 333 ram speed that's way more loss than running non-synchronous. Depending on the brand of MB there may be options to balance ram clock, multiplier and cpu clock.

Post the MB model and I'll look at the manual.

PS I have a vested interest. Fry's has a XP3800 AM2 dual core and MB for $89 this weekend and I can get 533 Ram for $129 but the 800 ram is $200. So I'm interested in how the two will play together. If the cpu supports higher ram speeds I can probably push the 65W cpu core well above a 200mhz clock and get a $350 system for $220 which is under my wallets threshold of pain.

rush

It looks like your RAM is underclocked. CPU screen 1 shows the actual at 200 but the supports up to 333 I'm assuming the CPU is set for 200 mhz clock (check the screen on cpuz). So it looks like the ram is set up to run synchronous with your processor which ends up really underclocking it.
This may be a limitation with the AMD CPU's on board memory controller.

Take a look in your Bios there may be a setting for making the cpu and ram non-synchronous. With a differnce of 200 vs 333 ram speed that's way more loss than running non-synchronous. Depending on the brand of MB there may be options to balance ram clock, multiplier and cpu clock.

Post the MB model and I'll look at the manual.

Tis a shuttle SN27P2. Manual download http://ftp.shuttle.com/Manuals/en/sn27p2/ensn27.zip

Cheers for taking a look. I'm usually pretty good with pc's but bios settings usually fox me! :D

Edit: Just taken a look and I believe that the speed actually goes up along with the clocking of the CPU and it's powersave mode. When the cpu is under a big load the memory speed goes up to 315Mhz which is closer to what it should be. :)

Last edited:

WOW, nice Bios! But I bet you hear that from all the guys...
Humor aside, I wish my bios was that friendly.

You can set clocks for RAM, CPU, CPU Multiplier, HT all independently. The CPU and RAM voltage is adjustable too. I had no idea Shuttle had gone so upscale. I need to start paying attention to them again.

You also have major options for setting noise levels and over temperature protection. I'd go for 45C on the fan speed when tweaking performance. Under PC Health on main menu

Main Menu Under Advanced
- HT Speed
[FONT=CGOmega,Bold]
-DRAM Configuration​
[/FONT]
"Options are in its sub-menu.
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu of detailed options."

The turkeys don't list the options in the manual but I expect they will be auto detect or a choice of several manual clock speeds. The DRAM timing wait states should also be available. Use the default 5-5-5-15-20 to start. Try changing the ram clock speed to 333.

They may allow you to adjust ram speed 1 or 5 mhz at a time. If they do you could probably boost overall system speed by about 10% with good stability if you are into overclocking.

"Frequency and voltage control" are another main menu item.

I could spend weeks tweaking that system for optimum speed and minimal noise. :) I'm so jealous! The system can be configured for overclocker heaven or noiseless operation or anywhere in between.

Thanks mate, I will give it a try when I get a moment. :D

WOW! freakin price cuts ROCK! on Newegg, the AMD X2 6000+ went from $319 over the weekend WAAAAAY down to $239!!!! SOOOOOOO probably pickin one of those up when i get my tax return. also helps that there's none in stock right now. lol. freakin mad rush on those things.

Kinda funny.... cause TigerDirect still shows the 6000+ as being $500.

i just installed vista ultimate 32 on a media center rig with dual 8800's and 4 gigs of some value crap ram the customer had ... 5.1 score.

WOW! freakin price cuts ROCK! on Newegg, the AMD X2 6000+ went from $319 over the weekend WAAAAAY down to $239!!!! SOOOOOOO probably pickin one of those up when i get my tax return. also helps that there's none in stock right now. lol. freakin mad rush on those things.

Kinda funny.... cause TigerDirect still shows the 6000+ as being $500.

:(

I wish I got tax returns

:(

i just installed vista ultimate 32 on a media center rig with dual 8800's and 4 gigs of some value crap ram the customer had ... 5.1 score.
Tis like having a turbo charged 4 litre engine in your car, but only being able to drive it at 30mph on the road, lol! :p

Tis like having a turbo charged 4 litre engine in your car, but only being able to drive it at 30mph on the road, lol! :p

what does that mean? Is that some sort of insult? I don't find the humor in building exactly what a customer wants and getting what he paid for.

I meant it as in saying having a really fast pc slowed down by one variable, like having a fast car but not being able to drive it fast. Wasn't an insult. :)

Ran mine a few mins ago after a complete re-install (still installing office as you can see).

Attachments

• experience.jpg
    experience.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 390

5.0 because of the proc. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to Core 2 Duo / DDR2, or just getting a higher end AMD with more cache (socket 939). They are dirt cheap now.

Attachments

• desktopscore.jpg
    desktopscore.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 292

WTF? Latest NVIDIA drivers have dropped my gaming graphics to 5.1! It was 5.4 before :(

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 305

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back