Vista & Webcams (mainly Lifecam VX-6000)

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
I currently have a Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 ( http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/d...ls.aspx?pid=002&active_tab=systemRequirements ) webcam running the initial drivers that were released for Windows Vista.

I can't help but feel that this camera is either pretty poor or not running as well as it should be. I'll take some snaps later, but at any resolution I seem to get a poor picture.

I'll try and take some snaps a little later, but was wondering if anyone was also in a similar situation or even had one of these cameras and was happy using it.

Looking ahead, there is the Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision ( http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2204,CONTENTID=11804 ) which also has Vista compatible drivers available.I really want to avoid Logitech cameras though as they have a nasty habit of suddenly dropping support for anything but their latest products.

The Lifecam *should* be good enough, but my old Logitech cam -- an unsupported product -- one I gave to a friend I regularly talk to gets a better picture than me while I chat to her from her XP machine!

Anyone else using one of these?

I am using the Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision with Vista (current drivers). It works perfectly under Vista. I feel the quality of the picture is better than my previous cam, the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (not supported under Vista).

Well my old one was a Quickcam Zoom which they also failed to suport in x64 as well.

I'll do some snaps later and we can find out if they are up to par with other cams of that particular generation.

I just bought the Lifecam VX-1000 and it's great cept for the audio, theres a annoying hum like sound thats constantly playing. I was going to exchange it for a new one but the store was sold out as it was on sale (Reg $50CDN, Sale $25CDN).

Besides the mic problem it's been a great cam. Don't want to spend too much more because I don't use a web cam a lot to warrant a more expensive camera.

Hard to see the snow happening in a static picture but I guess you can see where it will be occuring. Just not too impressed at the moment really!

Attachments

• Camera.png
    Camera.png
    128 KB · Views: 254
Have you tried messing with the brightness levels? I have the LC 3000 .... and after tinkering with the options the picture crisped up and lighting looked alot better.

The only thing I don't like is a razor thin line going through the top third horizontally - that is probably related to when I dropped it. For $30CDN (sale) ... I'll put up with it.

I am using the Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision with Vista (current drivers). It works perfectly under Vista. I feel the quality of the picture is better than my previous cam, the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (not supported under Vista).

You're wrong: my Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 works like a charm under Vista. Actually, I found the trick thanx to Google on a French forum.

I was told to update drivers for the "unknown device" from the extracted Quick Cam 8.48 software (Drivers>WinNew>Pro2), then the QCP 4000 was installed but not working at all. I had then to install normally the Quick Cam 10.50 software designed for the QCP 5000, and voila: my Quick Cam Pro 4000 is working great under Vista Ultimate now (with Windows Live Messenger and Skype at the moment).

I should have said that it is not officially supported by Logitech.

I didn't download them yet, as they don't tell what model it supports: good for QCP 4000/5000 ? I wonder.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back